Geckos don't like Glenn Beck

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bible is wrong now?

Let the saints be joyful in glory: let them sing aloud upon their beds.
Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a two-edged sword in their hand;
To execute vengeance upon the heathen, and punishments upon the people;

I have to admit spike your argument is looking as foolish as the "christians" who follow old testament law. Unfortunately their are as many if not more "christian" wackjobs as Muslim ones. Fortunately they mostly live in more civilized parts of the world and are contained by the laws of the nations they live in.

Consider this though. The Jews do follow the Torah, which is the old testament and many so called "christians" support anything the Jews of Isreal do without question.

spike

Matthew
10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

10:35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

10:36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

John
15:6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

Acts
3:23 And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people.

spike

I have to admit spike your argument is looking as foolish as the "christians" who follow old testament law.

So you were thinking the bible doesn't call for violence against unbelievers? There's many quotes to the contrary. No shortage really.

Cerise

Liberals hate Christians

Recently I was having a conversation, over the Internet, with an agnostic from Missouri. During our conversation, he accused religious people of being "mean*spirited, hateful, judgmental." I asked him, "If everybody in this country would faithfully follow the teachings of Jesus, how many drug pushers would there be? How many cases of AIDS? How many battered wives? How many illegitimate children living in poverty?" He was honest enough to answer, None," to which I replied that such is the goal of the religious, though eternal salvation must be the ultimate aim.

The conversation was instructive in other ways and led me to ponder the question of why liberals hate religion. There is no doubt that the reasons vary among individuals, but it is important for us to realize that hatred of religion is inherent in the liberal philosophy simply because of what they view as the results of religion.

Over 200 years ago, the French philosopher, Voltaire, wrote:

Religion is the chief cause of all the sorrows of humanity. Everywhere it has only served to drive men to evil, and plunge them in brutal miseries...it makes for history an immense tableau of human follies.

An influential l9th century American, Benjamin Franklin Underwood, explained further:

To many liberals, Christianity appears an unmitigated evil; a superstition which although it had its origin in innocent ignorance and credulity, has been the greatest obstacle to human progress that mankind has had to encounter.

The atheist Robert Ingersoll said that the church had, for 1,000 years, "extinguished the torch of progress in the blood of Christ." Unfortunately, he did not know the difference between pure New Testament Christianity and the gross perversions and deviations of Catholicism and Protestantism.

Liberals' obvious hatred of (their understanding of) Christianity in our country today proceeds from their belief that Christianity has been a hindrance to progress and has resulted in much evil. Rather than liberals reading the New Testaments and trying to comprehend what the religion of Jesus Christ really is, they prefer to look back in history and recall cruelties, immoralities, and butcheries done by those who really have no close connection to the truth and label that Christianity.

This idea has had a tremendous effect in our country, indeed, it underlies the entire educational system. Dr. John Dewey, who is known as the father of modern American education, was no friend of Christianity. Indeed, he was a very good liberal:

The objection to supernaturalism is that it stands in the way of an effective realization of the sweep and depth of the implications of natural human relations. It stands in the way of using the means that are in our power to make radical changes in these relations.

In other words, Christianity is a hindrance to liberal ideas of progressive social relations. It must be removed. This is a cardinal tenet of liberalism today, and it is clear why there is no desire among the left to promote the Christian faith, why they defend abortion, homosexuality, pre* and extramarital sex, and almost every other vile crudity that pervades our country: men must be "free," and Christianity is the greatest obstacle to that freedom and does all sorts of evil to prevent people from being "free" In the liberal mind, "freedom" equals "progress," so, Christianity must be eliminated, or at least relegated to a non*influential role in society's affairs.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef
what do you think the new covenant is?

...*insert smart-ass answer about bovine excrement here*

but that is enough of my thoughts about religion, the old covenant would be in the same pile BTW.

My understanding is that Jesus brought a new covenant that changed the old laws with a new agreement with god.

Hence the death penalty was lifted for a bunch of things, and you can enjoy a bacon cheeseburger with a side of shrimp.

But you change those laws, by interpretation only, they must all have changed so only the teachings of Christ are now valid.

It's the pick and choose of this thing that bothers me, calling up old testament when there be gays here, but touting the new one when one wants some bacon.

catocom

ok, I guess I'll do some work now....

Matthew
10:34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

10:35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

10:36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

John
15:6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

Acts
3:23 And it shall come to pass, that every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people.
matt...
10:34
the sword is the spoken word.

10:35
because of wickedness with in the respective persons.
Not necessarily ALL.

10:36
compliments 10:35

John
15:6
because God has removed his protection, and or quickening.

Acts
3:23
The key word being "soul"

ResearchMonkey

I did spend a few years in Sunday school. The quoted the old testament a lot. ;)
I would guess that while teaching you the old testment they very well might have quoted it at times. I know that concept might be odd for a liberal, but it does happen. Crazy huh?

So how often did your "Sunday School" go out and slay heathens while practicing Christianity?

Maybe you just didn't understand it at all, confused.

paul_valaru

100% Pure Canadian Beef

matt...

Not necessarily ALL.

10:36
compliments 10:35

John

Acts

the problem with all this is that it is interpretation, and selective translation.

catocom

Hence the death penalty was lifted for a bunch of things, and you can enjoy a bacon cheeseburger with a side of shrimp.

But you change those laws, by interpretation only, they must all have changed so only the teachings of Christ are now valid.

It's the pick and choose of this thing that bothers me, calling up old testament when there be gays here, but touting the new one when one wants some bacon.

that first part is partly right.

2nd paragraph..
they were now changed, but fulfilled. There's a difference.
fulfilled is changed, but changed isn't necessarily fulfilled.
It a Blood thing.

3rd...
not pick and choose. It is what it is.

spike

matt...

So the spoken word is not peaceful, more like a sword meant for violence.

Not necessarily ALL.

He has come to set you against the wicked in your family.

John

Hmmnnn....if you don't believe he will remove his protection and you will be burned.

Acts

Oh, as long as he's only destroying the soul of anyone that doesn't want to listen to the prophet I guess that's ok.

catocom

So the spoken word is not peaceful, more like a sword meant for violence.

He has come to set you against the wicked in your family.

Hmmnnn....if you don't believe he will remove his protection and you will be burned.

Oh, as long as he's only destroying the soul of anyone that doesn't want to listen to the prophet I guess that's ok.

1.)the word violence does not appear.

2.)yes

3.)yes

4.)yes

Status
Not open for further replies.