Obama does Biden

2minkey

bootlicker
At any rate, sounds like both parties probably overreacted.

that would be the reasonable assessment. it doesn't seem like the dominant posters in this thread have any interest in such a thing. i guess they need an extreme to really fuel a good wank.

jimpeel

that would be the reasonable assessment. it doesn't seem like the dominant posters in this thread have any interest in such a thing. i guess they need an extreme to really fuel a good wank.

Did you watch the video at the link Cerise provided at POST #55? I'm not a gamblin' man but I would wager money on what that answer would be.

The fucker is a racist bastard who hates White people. Race is his business and it behooves him to promote his business. Calling the cop a racist was just his true self coming out through transference of his own racism onto another person of the color he despises.

chcr

Too cute for words
I dunno anything at all about this (just got back from hols in States), but I think if I was in this situation, I'd be downright pissed too. At any rate, sounds like both parties probably overreacted.

Exactly. One might have hoped that the academecian might have had a little more self control, but maybe I just expect too much.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Mr Gates is a arrogant racist with a problem with cops. A typical erudite elitist snob. The cops wanted to verify that the man in front of him was the man that owned the house. If the cop didn't do that, he wouldn't be doing his job. Sgt Crowley & the other officer on-scene both described Mr Gates as uncooperative, both duing the event & according to the incident report.

jimpeel

Here is one more tidbit in this case that is just coming to the fore.

SOURCE

Caller in Cambridge Arrest Did Not Identify Professor as Black, 911 Tape Shows
The city that become ground zero for a national debate about race and law enforcement following the arrest of a Harvard professor will form a committee to examine "lessons" from the incident.

FOXNews.com

Monday, July 27, 2009

The 911 caller who reported a possible break-in at the home of a black Harvard professor never identified either of the men she saw as black, according to the tape of the call released by Cambridge city officials Monday.

The tape appears to support the claim by the neighbor's attorney that her 911 call had nothing to do with race. And it contradicts the police report that said the neighbor, Lucia Whalen, reported seeing two black males.

The two men Whalen saw trying to force their way into the home turned out to be the man who lives there, Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates Jr., and his driver, and the incident resulted in Gates' arrest by Cambridge Police Sgt. James Crowley. It touched off a national debate about race and law enforcement.

Though Crowley confirmed that Gates was the resident when he arrived at the home, he later arrested the professor for disorderly conduct, a charge that was ultimately dropped.

Looking to "move forward" from the controversy, Cambridge city officials on Monday released the tapes of the 911 call and radio dispatches affiliated with the incident.

The caller in the July 16 tape repeatedly said she didn't have a good vantage point and could not see what the two men trying to get into the home looked like.

"They were two larger men -- one looked kind of Hispanic but I'm not really sure, and the other one entered and I didn't see what he looked like at all," she said. "I just saw it from a distance."

The caller made clear that she wasn't sure whether she had seen an intruder or an actual resident of the home.

"I don't know if they live there and they just had a hard time with their key, but I did notice that they kind of used their shoulder to try to barge in and they got in," she said.

She said she probably wouldn't even have noticed the activity, but that a "concerned neighbor" brought it to her attention.

Whalen's attorney, Wendy Murphy, told FOX News the tape shows Whalen's call was not racially motivated.

"The truth is she couldn't see their race, therefore she didn't know their race and she didn't call police because of their race, which is the most important point of all," she said. "She called because of behavior."

In tapes of the subsequent police transmissions, an officer presumed to be Crowley can also be heard saying the "gentleman" -- Gates -- was being "uncooperative." The officer acknowledges the man claims to reside at the address and calls for Harvard University police to respond to the scene.

Police officials have defended Crowley's actions, though the city has also expressed regret for the incident.

Cambridge City Manager Robert Healy announced Monday at a news conference that the city will form a committee to examine "lessons" from the controversy.

"I am committed to making sure that our city is not defined by that day," he said. "Today is the day to move forward. ... The city has taken significant steps toward that end."

The debate about the arrest heated up last week when President Obama accused the police of acting "stupidly" in arresting Gates. The president later walked back his remarks and invited Gates and Crowley to the White House for a beer.

Cambridge city officials on Monday appeared to take Obama's advice that the arrest and subsequent debate be used as a "teachable moment."

Mayor E. Denise Simmons called it a "turning point for the city."

"We are confident we can ultimately come out stronger and a more unified community," she said.

Healy said the new committee will not conduct an official inquiry or make a judgment on the actions of the officers.

"The committee will identify the lessons to be taken from the criticism surrounding the incident and how those lessons can be applied" to the practices of the police department, he said.

Did you watch the video at the link Cerise provided at POST #55? I'm not a gamblin' man but I would wager money on what that answer would be.

The fucker is a racist bastard who hates White people. Race is his business and it behooves him to promote his business. Calling the cop a racist was just his true self coming out through transference of his own racism onto another person of the color he despises.

Oh yeah only libs talk about race....

You are so full of shit the aroma is measurable several states away!

But then everyone already knew that!

spike

Mr Gates is a arrogant racist with a problem with cops. A typical erudite elitist snob. The cops wanted to verify that the man in front of him was the man that owned the house. If the cop didn't do that, he wouldn't be doing his job. Sgt Crowley & the other officer on-scene both described Mr Gates as uncooperative, both duing the event & according to the incident report.

He did verify that he lived there. But OMG he was "uncooperative" arrest him!

The police officer was uncooperative and repeatedly refused to show the identification required by law.

Here's a pretty thorough analysis...

The Call

At around 12:45 p.m., Lucia Whalen called 911 to report two African American men wearing backpacks attempting to break into a house on Ware St. in Cambridge. Whalen works at Harvard Magazine, the offices of which are located a few doors down from Gates' home. She told Sgt. Crowley when he arrived that "her suspicions were aroused when she observed one of the men wedging his shoulder into the door as if he was trying to force entry." The man wedging his shoulder into the door was Gates' driver, and the other African American man with him was Gates. The men had just returned from Logan Airport, where Gates had landed after a trip to China. He found the lock broken on his front door—apparently as a result of an attempted break-in while he was away—and his driver was helping him get the door open so he could get his luggage in. Up to this point, both Gates and Obama say the whole thing is kosher: "I'm glad that this lady called 911," Gates has said. In recounting the story last night, Obama said, "There was a report called into the police station that there might be a burglary taking place — so far, so good, right?"

The Confrontation

Sgt. James Crowley arrived at Gates' house shortly after the call. He was alone. He walked up onto the porch, saw Gates standing in the foyer through a glass pane in the door, and asked him to step out onto the porch. According to the accounts of both men, Gates refused. Is that illegal? Massachusetts law makes it a crime to disobey the order of a police officer if you're operating a motor vehicle, but we couldn't find a similar statute that would have required Gates to obey Crowley's request. Even if there is one, Gates was never charged with violating it.

According to both men, Crowley—still standing on the porch—told him Gates was there to investigate a break-in. According to Crowley, Gates interrupted him, saying, "Why, because I am a black man in America?" At this point, according to Crowley, Gates didn't strike him as "someone who would break into a house." Still, he found "the way [Gates] responded to [his] routing inquiries peculiar" and accused him in the police report of "yelling" and "exclaiming."

Crowley's ID

According to Crowley, Gates "demanded to know who I was." Gates phrased the request differently: He says he asked for Crowley's "name and badge number." The distinction is important: Crowley claims that he complied with Gates' request by identifying himself as "Sgt. Crowley," while Gates says "he did not produce any identification nor did he respond to Professor Gates's request for this information." It's clear from the accounts of both men that Crowley did not provide Gates with a complete answer to his question—Crowley doesn't say that he told Gates his badge number or first name, nor did he turn over the identification card bearing that information that police officers in Massachusetts are required to carry and, by law, "shall be exhibited upon lawful request for purposes of identification." (Crowley said he was prepared to furnish the card, but that Gates turned away from the door and walked to his kitchen before he could hand it over.)

Badge numbers are assigned for a reason, and Massachusetts requires its cops to carry ID cards for a reason: Cops can lie about their names, making it difficult or impossible for citizens to file complaints about their behavior after they've departed a scene. If every police officer was assumed to be honest and forthright in all instances, those laws wouldn't be on the books. What's more, there are a lot of people in the Boston area named Crowley, and a lot of them are police officers. Gates asked Crowley to comply with Massachusetts law by furnishing his full name and badge number, and all Crowley told him was that he was a sergeant and that his last name was Crowley. In other words, he did not comply with Gates' request.

Inside the Home

According to Gates, while still on the porch, Crowley asked Gates to provide ID to prove he lived there, and Gates turned to retrieve his Massachusetts driver license and Harvard ID from his wallet in his kitchen. Crowley then followed him into the house. According to Crowley's account, it's unclear how Crowley came to enter the home: At one point he is on the porch, and then Gates turns to pick up a cordless phone, at which point Crowley radioed his dispatcher to say he was "in the residence with someone who appeared to be a resident but very uncooperative." It's not clear who Gates was calling on the cordless phone, but according to Crowley, Gates was asking asking for "the chief" and said he was dealing with a "racist police officer." He was apparently trying to go over Crowley's head and make a complaint. During the entire time he was in Gates' house, according to Crowley, Gates was agitated and angry, telling him "you don't know who you are messing with."

Gates' ID

Crowley was convinced very early on that Gates was not a burglar. Shortly after he entered the house, his report says, he "was led to believe that Gates was lawfully in the residence." But he asked Gates for ID to prove that it was indeed his house. According to Crowley, Gates initially refused, "demanding that I show him identification." Note that Gates didn't ask for Crowley's name—he asked for the identification that Crowley was required by law to furnish. Crowley did not furnish it. Eventually, Gates did give Crowley ID—Crowley says it was a Harvard ID, Gates says it was a Harvard ID and a Massachusetts driver license that bore the address of the house they were in. In any case, Crowley became convinced that Gates was who he said he was.

Leaving the House

As soon as Gates provided a Harvard ID, Crowley says he "radioed and requested the presence of Harvard University Police." Why? What reason would he have to call more police officers to Gates' house after he'd received definitive proof that no crime had been committed and the 911 call was caused by a misunderstanding? Crowley doesn't say. But bewilderingly, he says that after requesting the presence of Harvard police, he prepared to leave. But Gates continued to demand his name, and Crowley says that as he tried to answer, Gates yelled over his "spoken words" with accusations of racism. Gates says that a bronchial infection he picked up in China prevented him from yelling. (A photo of Gates immediately after the arrest, however, appears to show him with his mouth open wide, in mid-shout.) When Gate's asked again for Crowley's name—remember, at this point according to Crowley's account, all Gates still doesn't know Crowley's first name or badge number—Crowley told Gates that if he wanted to continue talking, they would have to do it outside of Gates' home. Crowley's explanation for this is that the "acoustics" in Gates' kitchen and foyer, where the men were arguing, made it difficult for him to communicate over his radio.

It would seem that Gates should have just let Crowley leave and be done with it. Another way of looking at it, however, is that Crowley told Gates, essentially: I will tell you my name if you come outside with me. If Gates was contemplating filing a complaint with the Cambridge Police Department about Crowley's behavior, and if he anticipated being told "there are three Sgt. Crowleys—which one was it?", then the reasonable course of action would be to follow Crowley outside.

The Arrest

When the men stepped out onto Gates' porch, according to Crowley, there were "several Cambridge and Harvard University police officers assembled on the sidewalk," as well as Lucia Whalen and "at least seven unidentified passersby." Crowley claims that the crowd was "looking in the direction of Gates," the implication being that his shouting and insults were causing a scene. Of course, the presence of several police cars and officer might also tend to attract passersby. And given the fact that these particular passersby were already there prior to Gates' exiting his house, that would be a reasonable assumption.

As Crowley left the porch, Gates continued to yell at him. Even though Crowley had implied that he would provide Gates with his name once they left the house, he did not. Gates' "outburst," Crowley says, caused the assembled police officers to appear "surprised and alarmed." This would appear to be an attempt on Crowley's part to establish evidence of disorderly conduct—"people were alarmed!" Crowley warned Gates at least twice that he was at risk of being arrested for disorderly conduct—upon the second warning, he wielded his handcuffs to demonstrate that he was serious. Then he stepped up onto the porch and placed Gates under arrest. Initially, Gates resisted him, protesting that he would fall without the use of his cane. Crowley "properly applied" the cuffs, loosened them at Gates' request, and hauled him to jail.

The Crime

Gates was charged with violating Chapter 272, Section 53 of Massachusetts' state code, which reads in full:

Common night walkers, common street walkers, both male and female, common railers and brawlers, persons who with offensive and disorderly acts or language accost or annoy persons of the opposite sex, lewd, wanton and lascivious persons in speech or behavior, idle and disorderly persons, disturbers of the peace, keepers of noisy and disorderly houses, and persons guilty of indecent exposure may be punished by imprisonment in a jail or house of correction for not more than six months, or by a fine of not more than two hundred dollars, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

Gates is clearly not a street walker, railer, or brawler. His language may have "accosted or annoyed" someone of the opposite sex—the only female whose presence at the scene was documented is Lucia Whalen, but we don't know how annoyed she was by Gates' comments. Gates was clearly not "idle," though he could be potentially be classified as "disorderly" or "disturbing the peace." The latter charge is dependent on Gates' being outside his house—presuming that his yelling wasn't audible on the street when he was inside—which would have been the case had Crowley not refused to fully identify himself to Gates unless Gates followed him outside. Whether one can be a "disorderly person" in one's own home isn't clear. But we suspect that if one could, then Crowley would simply have arrested Gates in his home. There's no evidence from Crowley's report that Gates' behavior escalated after they exited the house. In fact, the most offensive-sounding statement from Gates in Crowley's report—"ya, I'll speak with your mama outside"—was uttered while they were still in Gates' home. The emphasis on the bystanders in Crowley's report and the fact that Gates' "tumultuous behavior" was taking place "in view of the public" implies that, in Crowley's mind, Gates' behavior was legal inside his home and criminal on his porch. In which case Crowley's apparent insistence that he would only fully identify himself to Gates outside his house, because the "acoustics" were bad, sounds more and more like a trap to us.

What is clear is that the city of Cambridge has called the arrest "regrettable and unfortunate," and said that dropping the charges was "in the interests of justice." Crowley himself now says that he "regrets that I put the police department and the city in the position where they have to defend something like this." So if Crowley wasn't stupid, then what, exactly, does he regret?

http://gawker.com/5321278/no-henry-louis-gates-is-not-a-railer-a-brawler-or-a-common-street-walker

Gates was already having a bad night and then he gets hassled in his home by the fucking police when he had done nothing wrong. He's understandably mad and the cop won't give him his ID. He assumes racism and he had no reason to. There may or may not have been any racism involved in the whole event, we can only guess. He shouldn't have assumed racism though, but it happens frequently enough that you can imagine how someone being hassled in this way would go there. It's not a crime either.

The cop was trying to do his job but didn't know how to handle this situation properly. He wants to make sure nothing is wrong but also wants to assert dominance as police do. There was no reason for it though. "dropping the charges was "in the interests of justice.""

2minkey

bootlicker
wow, spike, you were doing well until that bullshit stretch.

hey, lots of nazis liked dogs. you like dogs too?

Cerise

Spike plays the ol' Stormfront card again. :rolleyes:

Why do you feel it necessary to link to hate sites?

2minkey

bootlicker
well in SOME cases it is appropriate to point out certain sympathies.

especially when folks are careless enough to link to certain content THEMSELVES and betray the real feelings they've unsuccessfully tried to keep below the surface in various primitive, xenophobic pissings.

Cerise

:rolleyes:

But that doesn't explain why he felt it appropriate in this case for a hate site to be directly linked.

racecard6906.jpg

I would suggest that playing the race card is the last refuge for some folks to detract.

Some folks would be familiar with that concept, wouldn't they?
:shrug:

spike

But that doesn't explain why he felt it appropriate in this case for a hate site to be directly linked.

Link to proof showing he was siding with white supremacists. Seems kinda obvious.

I would suggest that playing the race card is the last refuge for some folks to detract.

What are you trying to say? That sentence doesn't make much sense.

2minkey

bootlicker
I guess you didn't get the reference where I said I was going to try Jim's logic out for fun.

Okay, if he's not a Leftist, why is he siding with Leftists?

;)

oh, yarp, that's cool. nice work.

racecard6906.jpg

Some folks would be familiar with that concept, wouldn't they?
:shrug:

hey, what the fuck lady, you've been playing the freaked-out xenophobe card forever ("oh noes! he's the mozlems!"), which is virtually the same thing as the race card, so's what's yer problem?

oh, yarp, that's cool. nice work.

hey, what the fuck lady, you've been playing the freaked-out xenophobe card forever ("oh noes! he's the mozlems!"), which is virtually the same thing as the race card, so's what's yer problem?

Because she thinks they should all repent and worship Jebus!

(Jesus is actually considered a major prophet by the Islamic faith, but far be it from her to learn about things when its easier to just blindly hate.)

But Obama can't repent and become a white guy....

Cerise

I don't make the news, I just report it. :shrug: You know damn well that I have never said he is a muslim.

At first, Obama attended the Catholic school, Fransiskus Assisis, where documents showed he enrolled as a Muslim, the religion of his stepfather.

Obama's mother, divorced from Obama's father, married a man from Indonesia named Lolo Soetoro, and the family relocated to the country from 1967-71. At first, Obama attended the Catholic school, Fransiskus Assisis, where documents showed he enrolled as a Muslim, the religion of his stepfather.

The document required that each student choose one of five state-sanctioned religions when registering - Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Catholic or Protestant. Gibbs said he wasn't sure why the document had Obama listed as a Muslim.

obama%20picture.jpg

Cerise

(Jesus is actually considered a major prophet by the Islamic faith, but far be it from her to learn about things when its easier to just blindly hate.)

Qur'an 4:171 "O People of the Book! Do not exaggerate in your religion; nor speak lies of Allah. The Messiah, Christ Jesus, the son of Mary was (no more than) a messenger of Allah, and His Word, which He bestowed on Mary, and a Spirit proceeding from Him. So believe in Allah and His messengers. Say not 'Trinity.' Cease and Desist: (it is) better for you: for Allah is one Ilah (God). (Far it is removed from him of) having a son. To Him belong all things in the heavens and on earth. And enough is Allah as a Disposer of affairs. The Messiah is proud to be a slave of Allah, as are the angels, those nearest. Those who disdain His worship and are arrogant. He will gather them all together unto Himself to (answer).... He will punish with a painful doom; Nor will they find, besides Allah, any to protect or save them."

Qur'an 5:116 "And behold! Allah will say: 'O Jesus, the son of Mary! Did you say unto men, worship me and my mother as two gods besides Allah?' He will say: 'Glory to You! Never could I utter what I had no right."

Qur'an 5:117 "I only said what You (Allah) commanded me to say: Worship Allah, my lord and your Lord. I was a witness over them while I dwelt amongst them but you took me up. (This is a great admonition and warning to the Christians of the whole world.)"
[/quote]

But Obama can't repent and become a white guy....

Comic Wanda Sykes, explaining how blacks will react to President Obama should he screw up: "It's amazing, the first black president – I know you're biracial – but the first black president!" she said. "That's unless you screw up. Then it's going to be, 'What's up with the half-white guy, huh?'"

2minkey

bootlicker
I don't make the news, I just report it. :shrug: You know damn well that I have never said he is a muslim.

obama%20picture.jpg

holy fucking shit you believe your own nonsense!!!

you post "hussein" all over the motherfucking place, pictures of obama wearing arabic garb with a bomb on his head, the picture above...

nah, you've NEVER said he was a muslim.

hey, why don't you try spraying a swastika on the home of a jew and trying to explain later that you didn't say anything anti-semetic. hey, try leaving a copy of mein kamph (i'm sure you've got extra) at the doorstep of a synagogue. hey, YOU didn't say it!

crawl back into your shitty little hole.