Official Canada sucks thread

Altron

Hey ABNormal you live on Vancouver Island right?
My that do you mean the little island in the middle of Vancouver (I think it might be Granville Island) or just the city of Vancouver?

A.B.Normal

Altron said:
Hey ABNormal you live on Vancouver Island right?
My that do you mean the little island in the middle of Vancouver (I think it might be Granville Island) or just the city of Vancouver?

See that big honkin' Island west of Vancouver :

map.GIF

I live Just North of Nanaimo.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
A.B.Normal said:
flavio said:
A.B.Normal said:
I live Just North of Nanaimo.

No road off the island?

Access from the mainland by Ferry only at about $50Cdn for a vehicle and one person on one way trip.Needless to say I don't get off this rock very often ,not that I would have any reason to.

Jeebus, that's a lot of cash. :eek: I remember taking a ferry from Seattle to Victoria only costing me $35...uhhh...Nevermind. At the time, $35 USD was about equal to $50 CND... :blush: :blush:

Professur

The ferry or the bridge to PEI is about $45 too. The bridge is a little cheaper than the ferry, but the ferry lands you much closer to civilisation.

But you only pay on the way off island. Heading on island costs nothing. Cute, EH.

DFisherman

Good Afternoon Professeur,

DFisherman (newbie) here. How are you handling the SAQ strike?

(N.B.) For those outside of Quebec/Canada: The SAQ (Société des Alcools du Québec / "Quebec Liquor Commission") is a provincial (state) corporation that handles alcohol in the province. Quebec has a semi-deregulated alcohol market with both state-controlled and private sellers. The SAQ deals with vintage wines, hard liquor, and imported alcohol, while private dealers have mass-market beers and wines (but no hard liquor).

SAQ retail store workers are currently on strike province-wide, this at the beginning of the holiday season. About 10% of the outlets are operating with manegerial staff during this time. Also, LCBO (Liquor Commision Board of Ontario) stores in nearby Ontario towns bordering on Quebec are recording brisk sales as Quebec residents drive over the border to stock up.

News story item here: SAQ Strike

- DFisherman

Professur

No problem here. The SAQ (pronounced sack, sounding like a french curse word) carries all the hard stuff, most wines, and only hard to import beer. Since I don't drink hard liquor or wine, and beer can be had at any depanneur, I'm not effected in the slightest. ('Specially since I've still got a stock of New Brunwick brew from our second honeymoon)

Almost forgot. Dlighted to meet you, Dfisherman.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Professur said:
ontario is uneffected, except for record breaking sales in Hawksbury and Lancaster.

True

And I still have a few drinks worth left in that bottle I bought in Quebec...generally when I drink I drink a nice bit but I don't drink very often :)

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Professur said:
The ferry or the bridge to PEI is about $45 too. The bridge is a little cheaper than the ferry, but the ferry lands you much closer to civilisation.

But you only pay on the way off island. Heading on island costs nothing. Cute, EH.

It's $27 per adult (over 13) and $76.50 for a vehicle under 20' one way from North Sydney NS to Port aux Basques NFLD (or vice versa). Plus, if you're travelling overnight and want a cabin it's $100. If you're lucky enough to get on the MV Joseph and Clara Smallwood you can get day-nighters (basically just a room that is like the inside of an airplane...the seats prolly the size of middle class on a plane) for $9 a piece...otherwise you're sleeping in a chair...

MrBishop

People are starting to get used to Cuvé Depanneur (Screw-top wine) to the detriment of the SAQ. With any luck...the Convenience stores (Depanneurs) and grocery stores will get smart and take this marketing opportunity as far as they can go...thus cutting off some business from the SAQ. :D