Prof....

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
It's also the way things have been done before the nanny state took over our lives. (forever in other words) My best friends dad was an iron worker. You'd be surprised how many of those clowns went to work so hungover they couldn't see straight or got drunk on the job (20, 40, 100 stories up). A 10' scaffold is nothing.

Inkara1

Those sort of accidents are covered under the contractor's Worker's Compensation insurance. In California, the contractor is required by law to have that insurance (I'm sure Georgia would require that as well) and that's who the worker would make the claim with. Now, if the contractor does not have that insurance and there's an accident, the contractor and the property owner can be held liable. That's why they say to always check to make sure the contractor is licensed, bonded and insured.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Even if the contractor is licenced, bonded and insured the workers can still turn around and sue their employer and the property owner for unsafe working conditions if an accident occurs. Am I saying they would win the suit? No, I am not...I am saying that once you're named in a lawsuit it's VERY expensive even if no settlement is found against you...it's in ones best interest to do everything possible to avoid being named in the first place (by making sure working conditions are not blatently unsafe). I just finished a whole course on this stuff for work...the first step is to make sure you're not doing anything that could result in a settlement against you if you were to be sued, the second thing to do is reduce the likely hood of being sued at all so that you avoid all the legal fees involved in defending yourself.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
It's also the way things have been done before the nanny state took over our lives. (forever in other words) My best friends dad was an iron worker. You'd be surprised how many of those clowns went to work so hungover they couldn't see straight or got drunk on the job (20, 40, 100 stories up). A 10' scaffold is nothing.

Oh, I agree that it's minor compared to many other things that have been/are being done in the construction world...

unclehobart

I'm sure there are many...

Unc: You better look into those laws...if something were to happen to one of the guys you may beable to be held partially liable...and even if you can't be you could be named in the law suit and have to spend large amounts in legal fees before it gets to the point where a judge is like "This guy isn't liable, the claim against him is dismissed"

I have $1,000,000 homeowners liability. My insurance company would absolutely go to bat for me... actually themselves.

tonksy

And if they are not legal I believe that that makes any liability we have null and void...I think.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
And if they are not legal I believe that that makes any liability we have null and void...I think.

Oh I wasn't saying anything about being legal...I was only commenting on the shady looking scaffolding and the guy standing on but not holding onto the ladder...

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member

No, nuh-ugh, not a chance in hell.

Illegal aliens have special rights, not got given to us ordinary mortals of USA blood.

Sharky

ironworker_john_jay.jpg

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Just because it's been done in the past doesn't make it a smart thing to do...baby's toys and cribs also used to be painted with lead paint.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
yes they did & the kids survived & were stronger than todays crop, huh?

tonksy

Counter removal!

First they took the small counter:
kitch3.jpg

Then the range:
kitch1.jpg

Then the counter holding it in and the counter with sink and the trash compactor:
kitch4.jpg

kitch5.jpg

Then the cabinets below the sink:
kitch2.jpg

And finally the old oven with built in microwave:
kitch6.jpg

tonksy

For today...The counter guys are coming tomorrow to make the templates. I guess it'll get moved then.

tonksy

In case anyone is really interested and because I am excited to talk about it - we picked out and purchased the ceiling fans and light fixture for our kitchen livingroom and breakfast area today.

Kitchen ceiling fan:

This is a link to it but we replaced the blades with blades in the matching byzantine finish (which is kinda coppery to match the new sink).

The livingroom fan:

This is a link to it. We got it in byzantine as well with an upper and lower light elements.

The light in the breakfast area off of the kitchen:

I couldn't find a better picture online so I scanned my copy.
santoma.jpg

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Rob always told me he was leaving his home a "blank canvas" so when he found a lady and she moved in she would beable to start from scratch...glad to see you're adding some life to the place!!

I think your guys should post lots of pics to compare the place to the plain pics rob posted years ago.

tonksy

I sure will!
We have to go art work shopping before too long for a large exterior piece as well as a large interior piece for where the window was. That ought to be fun. Plus the framing of the papyrii...
We are still trying to track down a suitable pot rack and we have to go physically look at cork flooring.
This really is kinda fun.