Prof....

Inkara1

How are you going to change the light bulbs in the living room fan? The old fan had no light, and the recessed lighting, you could use a light grabber or suction cup on the end of a pole... but on that one, you have to take off a nut, remove the glass dome and then remove the bulb, which is mounted sideways. And the rod looks to be a similar length to the rod of the old fan, meaning the fan is still pretty high above you... meaning you'd have to stnad awfully high on the ladder to be able to barely reach it.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Neat.

Less than stable means? beh, that's called getting the job done.

It's called a death wish...I spend a lot of time on construction sites and some of the stuff that those guys do is INSANE! Hell, even some of the stuff that is considered safe by the ministry is a little bit freaky...I've had to climb some pretty long ladders...FREAKY!

tonksy

He seemed rather stable and sturdy up there and rather unconcerned as if it were something he did all the time. He was actually giggling at me for being all concerned.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
He seemed rather stable and sturdy up there and rather unconcerned as if it were something he did all the time. He was actually giggling at me for being all concerned.

He probably DOES do it all the time, I'm pretty sure about 50% of contractors are a little unhinged because the freakiest things don't seem to worry them.

tonksy

How are you going to change the light bulbs in the living room fan? The old fan had no light, and the recessed lighting, you could use a light grabber or suction cup on the end of a pole... but on that one, you have to take off a nut, remove the glass dome and then remove the bulb, which is mounted sideways. And the rod looks to be a similar length to the rod of the old fan, meaning the fan is still pretty high above you... meaning you'd have to stnad awfully high on the ladder to be able to barely reach it.

Hire another Mexican?

Actually, it was one of Rob's initial questions. We figure the current lightbulbs will hold out for a good while and when we do need them replaced we should have people working on the basement that can do it. Hopefully we can put in LEDs when the time comes if the technology is up to it then.

Inkara1

Are the lights on a dimmer? If not, I'd suggest compact fluorescent... but if they're on a dimmer, dimming them will blow out the ballast and you'll have to replace the bulbs even sooner.

tonksy

Are the lights on a dimmer? If not, I'd suggest compact fluorescent... but if they're on a dimmer, dimming them will blow out the ballast and you'll have to replace the bulbs even sooner.

No dimmer. The up light is required to be those candlabra type bulbs and that basically all that will fit in it. The bottom one will probably be one of those curly-Q bulbs if they'll fit.
How long do you plan to postpone the basement work?

As long as it takes. It's a shitload of work...but the issue isn't how long they'll be down there. The issue is when we can realistically afford to start. This set of work we are having done is quite a pretty penny.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
As long as it takes. It's a shitload of work...but the issue isn't how long they'll be down there. The issue is when we can realistically afford to start. This set of work we are having done is quite a pretty penny.

Ah, gotcha!

unclehobart

The bottom bulbs on that fan are a cinch compared to the ones on the topside. I have to find a way to get my butt over 12 feet up there and blindly crane my arm over the top. It will surely suck ass.

The basement, for the next year, will not be building up... but tearing stuff up and getting the trash out if only for our sanity and controlling the random smells and odd wandering bugs. I'm thinking: clean out and clean up the mudroom area so I can move my tools from the garage into it. Rip out and dispose of all carpeting. Rip out some flood damaged toe boards and treat some molding areas, pull out all ceiling tiles and see if they can be treated and saved, clean up the rails, wash, Killz, and paint the walls, gut the mini kitchen and bathroom... then start thinking about getting a specalist in to redo said half kitchen and bath.

Square one is probably getting a beater pickup so I can dispose of trash slowly... or wait until I make a massive heap and rent a dumpster for a weekend to do a single massive push.

tonksy

Woohoo! Counters!

Black galaxy granite:

gran.jpg

Here it is with the sink and new faucet (without the pull down squirter as the plumber isn't here yet):

gran1.jpg

Here it is on the small counter so you can see it with the cabinet color:

gran2.jpg

The painters came today to spackle and assess and spot paint the ceiling. They will be back tomorrow to start painting the walls.

tonksy

A double wide wouldn't take 3 days to paint.
The painters have finished the kitchen. They'll be back on Thursday to start the rest of the joint.
The electricians (e-lect-treee-shuns :D ) are currently connecting the cooktop, pop up vent and garbage disposal.
After those things are done I think we have a break until our contractor comes back from Italy in a week. Then it is back door, brick faux window facade outside, and cork flooring...plus a little attic fan repair action.
Oh! And you know that old 80's intercom control module we had in the kitchen? Apparently we are getting some updated version. Rob'll have to come along with further details on that.

Professur

I really want photos of the back door repair. Is he shoring it up from underneath, or just rehanging the door straight?