Score, haul, take

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
hehe MS's Ipod killer. or so they say. I got it today, getting it loaded with songs and video.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
ooooh I missed the posts on this page before my post...fluer's post reminded me that I got a teddy bear dipped in melon strawberry candle wax. I LOVE it!

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
On the note of promise rings...this is not to offend anyone or anything it's just my thoughts on the whole thing. Thoughts I've had and thought about for a number of years...I think promise rings are stupid. They're essentially a promise that in the future the person plans to marry you...to me that's the same thing as an engagement ring because an engagement ring does not have to mean "let's set a date right away and get married" it's essentially a promise to one day get married. So, that brings me to what's the difference between an engagement ring and a promise ring. Usually a promise ring is given because either the couple is too young to be getting engaged (like, in highschool) and/or the person can not afford what would typically be labelled as an "engagement ring" in jewelry stores and has to buy something with a smaller diamond. Now, in the first case I think promise rings are just silly...you're not getting engaged because you're too young so therefore in my mind you're also too young to be promising to get engaged. The second situation I find ridiculous and materialistic...in my mind it doesn't matter what size the diamond on an engagement ring is...as long as it's proportionate to what the person can afford...someone who makes $100 000 a year should spend a bit more than $500 on a ring...for the record though I think the 2 months salary rule is TOO MUCH to spend on a ring. Anyway, I digress...if a person can only afford a ring with a small diamond I don't see why that should be considered a promise ring...it means the same as an engagement ring will mean in x number of years, the only difference is the engagement ring will have a bigger diamond. I guess my stand is...WHY can't a ring without a big ass diamond still be an engagement ring? It's ridiculous! It means the same thing, like I said...the only difference is the diamond size and to me that's kinda materialistic. I don't think engagement should have to go hand in hand with "big ass diamond". When I get engaged do I want a ring? You bet your ass I do! Do I care if it's a big diamond or a little diamond? Nope...whatever the guy can afford is OK by me as long as he picks a ring that suits my tastes I'm happy (ie. I hate yellow gold so if a guy bought me a yellow gold ring some warning bells would be going off...getting engaged to someone who has never noticed that I don't EVER wear yellow gold probably wouldn't be a good idea).

rrfield

*bitchslap*

Show some respect.

lylealzado.jpg

mask148_2.jpg

Inkara1

On the note of promise rings...this is not to offend anyone or anything it's just my thoughts on the whole thing. Thoughts I've had and thought about for a number of years...I think promise rings are stupid. They're essentially a promise that in the future the person plans to marry you...to me that's the same thing as an engagement ring because an engagement ring does not have to mean "let's set a date right away and get married" it's essentially a promise to one day get married. So, that brings me to what's the difference between an engagement ring and a promise ring. Usually a promise ring is given because either the couple is too young to be getting engaged (like, in highschool) and/or the person can not afford what would typically be labelled as an "engagement ring" in jewelry stores and has to buy something with a smaller diamond. Now, in the first case I think promise rings are just silly...you're not getting engaged because you're too young so therefore in my mind you're also too young to be promising to get engaged. The second situation I find ridiculous and materialistic...in my mind it doesn't matter what size the diamond on an engagement ring is...as long as it's proportionate to what the person can afford...someone who makes $100 000 a year should spend a bit more than $500 on a ring...for the record though I think the 2 months salary rule is TOO MUCH to spend on a ring. Anyway, I digress...if a person can only afford a ring with a small diamond I don't see why that should be considered a promise ring...it means the same as an engagement ring will mean in x number of years, the only difference is the engagement ring will have a bigger diamond. I guess my stand is...WHY can't a ring without a big ass diamond still be an engagement ring? It's ridiculous! It means the same thing, like I said...the only difference is the diamond size and to me that's kinda materialistic. I don't think engagement should have to go hand in hand with "big ass diamond". When I get engaged do I want a ring? You bet your ass I do! Do I care if it's a big diamond or a little diamond? Nope...whatever the guy can afford is OK by me as long as he picks a ring that suits my tastes I'm happy (ie. I hate yellow gold so if a guy bought me a yellow gold ring some warning bells would be going off...getting engaged to someone who has never noticed that I don't EVER wear yellow gold probably wouldn't be a good idea).

OK, good. I'm glad I'm not the first one to pee in her corn flakes. I was going to say something earlier but didn't want to without backup.

I always saw them as a money grab by the jewelry companies to take advantage of high school boys that want to show their girlfriends how much they think they love them. This is actually the first time I've heard of someone above the age of 20 buying one. The "I promise to make a promise" thing doesn't sit well with me. If you can't afford an engagement ring, either get a less expensive engagement ring or wait until you can afford it. Then there's the whole insecurity aspect of needing one of those. Did promise rings even exist before the 1990s? I know in the '50s and '60s, if a girl was going out with a guy in high school she would wear his class ring.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
OK, good. I'm glad I'm not the first one to pee in her corn flakes. I was going to say something earlier but didn't want to without backup.

I always saw them as a money grab by the jewelry companies to take advantage of high school boys that want to show their girlfriends how much they think they love them. This is actually the first time I've heard of someone above the age of 20 buying one. The "I promise to make a promise" thing doesn't sit well with me. If you can't afford an engagement ring, either get a less expensive engagement ring or wait until you can afford it. Then there's the whole insecurity aspect of needing one of those. Did promise rings even exist before the 1990s? I know in the '50s and '60s, if a girl was going out with a guy in high school she would wear his class ring.

It's my understanding that the class ring was simply a sign that they were "going steady" and had nothing to do with promises of marriage. I don't think that's too weird...I mean, now a days many highschool relationships result in a necklace with a heart or something being given...simply a "I care for you" gift that also says the wearer is off the market.

Your comment about "buy a smaller engagement ring" is kinda what I was saying...but I'm also wondering why what's labelled a "promise ring" in a store is unacceptable as an engagement ring if that's all a person can afford.

chcr

Too cute for words
I always wondered why people listen to the jewelers suggestion about what percentage of the yearly salary should be spent on an engagement ring "to show you care." I always thought that asking someone to spend the rest of their life with you might be a good indicator. "I love you, let's get hitched and spend the first couple of years of our lives in hock so your relatives will be impressed."

Uki Chick

Well Nixy and Ink, I don't really care what you guys think of a promise ring.

What he decides he wants as an engagement ring for me is his choice. I'm far from being materialistic. I've never asked for a big ass ring. If he chooses to get me one, that's up to him. We are still dealing with two houses, getting back on our feet from being fucked over by our ex's, etc. You can think what you want about a promise ring, all I know, is that I love it, I'm happy and I don't really give a shit what you think of me or him for giving me that as a gift. Half of the girls I work with got promise rings before they got their engagement rings and so far, all my family and true friends are happy for me.

So in other words, I'm not going to let you ruin the gift for me nor spoil my enjoyment of wearing it.

tonksy

I have a ring...it is not an engagement ring as we will not be wedding...so is it a promise ring? A commitment ring? You can call it whatever you like but I view mine as a lovely token (not to use the word lightly) of affection from the man that is essentially my husband without the whole law binding thing.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
I did!

A bee-yoo-ti-ful watch and a cell and a kettle and girlie stuff and some blue opal earrings AND I got a Lagostina set!!

Avery picked out Betty and Veronica socks for me, they're awesome!

Also, I got my birthday present from my parents 5 months early, a set of two huge stock pots by Roscan. They are gorgeous.

Good Christmas this year. Really good.
But ohmanI'msotired.

A cell? What? Handcuffs not kinky enough? :D

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
If you can't afford an engagement ring, either get a less expensive engagement ring or wait until you can afford it.

Neither my wife nor I have ever had rings to signify jackshit. The piece of paper says we're married. We say we're married. What else is there?