Sits back, lights a cigar.

unclehobart

I've now discovered an active roof leak. Of course it would be centered at one of the highest most inacessible parts of my attic/roof.

PT

Off 'Motherfuckin' Topic Elite
Just send one of them little ones up there. Throw a mattress out in the yard in case they fall.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
unclehobart said:
I've now discovered an active roof leak. Of course it would be centered at one of the highest most inacessible parts of my attic/roof.

Besides...you can't fix it when it's raining, and when it's sunny, you don't need to... :D

That aside. It's probably just a shingle that needs to be replaced. I'd suggest fiberglass, but asphalt is cheaper.

unclehobart

I was going to see if I could caulk the bejesus out of the hole from the bottom as a start. Of course it has to be dry to pull that off as well. Everything was dandy until that stupid triple hurricane came through in the summer. It blew all kinds of water up into the attic. I have like 5 ceiling stains to paint over... some waaaay out of reach.

HomeLAN

As of last night, V2.0 has developed hives as a last symptom of his passing cold. Poor guy's completely covered in red, raised welts. Nobody got any sleep last night, and tonight doesn't look much better.

Professur

unclehobart said:
I was going to see if I could caulk the bejesus out of the hole from the bottom as a start.
NOOOOOOOOOO

Never try to seal a hole from the dry side. Unless you're a big fan of replacing the plywood next year.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Professur said:
NOOOOOOOOOO

Never try to seal a hole from the dry side. Unless you're a big fan of replacing the plywood next year.

Makes sense...

unclehobart

Unfortunately the piece of plywood in question is already looking to be in need of replacement as this seems to have been a slow building problem.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
unclehobart said:
Unfortunately the piece of plywood in question is already looking to be in need of replacement as this seems to have been a slow building problem.

Why wouldn't you just do it right the first time then??

tonksy

Nixy said:
Yeah...winter...Tonks was wearing sweaters in Montreal in AUGUST!
you should see my sweater collection now! i've taken quite a liking to them (see i only had like 2 before).

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Gato_Solo said:
Wait until Saturday. 20% chance of rain, and a high of around 75F. Sounds like a fishing day to me. :grinyes:

Scattered flurries, high of 1C on Sat here...it's almost like summer :lloyd:

unclehobart

Nixy said:
Why wouldn't you just do it right the first time then??
High roof, my neighborhood ... probably cost like $4,000 to fix. I can borrow dads ladder and stop the current damage and wait a few years until I feel like selling the place and just add it to the contractors repair list. You get good discounts in bulk if you have a bunch of stuff to do all at once. Its the single tasks that nickle and dime you to death.