SnP and AllEars' won't be around much for awhile

K62

SouthernN'Proud said:
We got Corning Ware. We got copper bottom stainless steel cookware. We got a turkey fryer. We got a griddle, a counter-top grill, kitchen gadgets galore, knives, a mixer/bowl thing...God knows what all else. The kitchen is almost completely restored. Need a bread machine, tea maker, pot holders/towels, some "every day" glasses, my metal mixing bowls (AE's folks are taking care of that for us), ice trays, and maybe a few other little things.

Our remaining major purchases are a washer/dryer, mattresses/springs, sheets and linens, bath towels, a DVD player or two, some art, a couple of bedroom TVs, and one or two computers. Not bad considering. And of course the music collection, which will be ongoing and is being done a piece at a time already. Ebay and half dot com are my friends. Just bought me some Gov't Mule tonight in fact.

Turkey Fryer?!? That's a new one to me!

K62

SouthernN'Proud said:
*handonhip

redgreen256.jpg

A man's man if ever there was one, and a fashion plate to boot.

Red! How do you know Red? They never played him (or any Canadian show) down south, did they?

I grew up watching that show!

K62

BeardofPants said:
I know how vicious those moose get. I'd rather take on a grizzly bear. :retard:

Moose kill MANY MANY people around here every year on the highways. They are so hard to see at night, it's usually too late by the time you do. I have had a few close calls now...

ekahs retsam

K62 said:
Red! How do you know Red? They never played him (or any Canadian show) down south, did they?

I grew up watching that show!

god yes, they play it down here all the time. I think it's on PBS.

only thing worse is prarie home companion... :rolleyes:

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
ekahs retsam said:
god yes, they play it down here all the time. I think it's on PBS.

only thing worse is prarie home companion... :rolleyes:

Don't go knockin' Red Green!! *shakes fist at you*

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
paul_valaru said:
S&P, AllEars,

how is it all coming together now? Are you all going to end up as well off (as far as the stead with the setup and all) as before do you think, now that things are settling down?

ooooops, this was Leslie posting - I shouldn't browse on Paul's login :eek:

It's kind of a mixed bag, but mostly good.

We'll be in a more modern home, no need to fix and/or replace/repair so many things. It's also a little bigger than the old place. Plus, it's all one level...no need to navigate stairs as our old age approacheth. And we get to have it set up on the site we preferred all along. Where the old house was situated was fine, but we always had our eyes on this spot for several reasons. Come to find out, it's where the original house was over 100 years ago, so that's kinda cool too. If possible, our front porch view will be even better now.

Then too, there's some down side. Nobody knows what I endured for ten years to get my lifelong dream...an old white farmhouse in the mountains. That was all I ever wanted out of this life. Really. I had it...now it's gone, and that sucks. The loss of all our irreplacables is overbearing at times. Just last night, I got to dwelling on one thing in particular that was in the house. Knowing that I will never see or touch it again is daunting, and no new house in the world can do a damn thing about that.

Overall though...we're doing pretty good. It's drawn us all closer, changed our priorities a little, made us appreciate things in a different way. It's a fresh start in a way. Plus we now know our neighbors a little better...both good and bad. That'll serve us well for years to come.

tonksy

SouthernN'Proud said:
Deep fried turkey....ambrosia I tell ya, pure ambrosia. If you ever eat a fried turkey, you will NEVER bake another one.
I agree! Unless the baked on is stuffed with sausage or crawfish and dredged in cajun marinade.

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
SouthernN'Proud said:
It's kind of a mixed bag, but mostly good.

We'll be in a more modern home, no need to fix and/or replace/repair so many things. It's also a little bigger than the old place. Plus, it's all one level...no need to navigate stairs as our old age approacheth. And we get to have it set up on the site we preferred all along. Where the old house was situated was fine, but we always had our eyes on this spot for several reasons. Come to find out, it's where the original house was over 100 years ago, so that's kinda cool too. If possible, our front porch view will be even better now.

Then too, there's some down side. Nobody knows what I endured for ten years to get my lifelong dream...an old white farmhouse in the mountains. That was all I ever wanted out of this life. Really. I had it...now it's gone, and that sucks. The loss of all our irreplacables is overbearing at times. Just last night, I got to dwelling on one thing in particular that was in the house. Knowing that I will never see or touch it again is daunting, and no new house in the world can do a damn thing about that.

Overall though...we're doing pretty good. It's drawn us all closer, changed our priorities a little, made us appreciate things in a different way. It's a fresh start in a way. Plus we now know our neighbors a little better...both good and bad. That'll serve us well for years to come.
I've been wondering with the insurance and all, how it would all come out in the wash. I'm glad there are some positives on your new path. It's such a terrible shock and loss to move forward from. You guys are awesome.

K62

Glad to hear that you are doing alright.

What started the fire if you don't mind me asking?
(I'm sure it has been asked already, but I am too lazy to read through 8 pages)

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
The fire investigator won't say for 100% positive, but he's almost certain it started in a cable box. I suspect a field mouse hibernating in the cellar got ahold of some wiring.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
SouthernN'Proud said:
Deep fried turkey....ambrosia I tell ya, pure ambrosia. If you ever eat a fried turkey, you will NEVER bake another one.

Fried is good, but I prefer smoked. I use either pecan, or persimmon wood in the firebox for the extra jolt of flavor...Keeping the temperature just right can be a bitch, but the results are worth the hassle...:grinyes:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
SouthernN'Proud said:
The fire investigator won't say for 100% positive, but he's almost certain it started in a cable box. I suspect a field mouse hibernating in the cellar got ahold of some wiring.

HUSH!!! edit this post. WHat if the derned tootin lawyers git ahold a'this just as yer cable company is about to settle, out of court, for 6 figures

Aunty Em

Gato_Solo said:
Fried is good, but I prefer smoked. I use either pecan, or persimmon wood in the firebox for the extra jolt of flavor...Keeping the temperature just right can be a bitch, but the results are worth the hassle...:grinyes:
Yuk, I don't like turkey much. Lotta people think turkey and chicken taste the same but they don't to me. I prefer salmon anyway or maybe some roast pork with crispy crackling. :)

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
Aunty Em said:
Yuk, I don't like turkey much. Lotta people think turkey and chicken taste the same but they don't to me. I prefer salmon anyway or maybe some roast pork with crispy crackling. :)

Me said:

Aunty Em

If I eat anything fried I can guarantee myself at least 12 hours of severe pain. Hopefully they will remove my gall bladder when I finally get my stomach bypass as one of the post-op complications can be gallstones and I already have problems.