Alright, so what?

I suppose there is a reason that I am not a politician :shrug:
And I don't want to smoke pot and if I did I would just do it like it did before. I just see it as a boon to the economy and a way to clear the clogged penal system.

Of course your issue is "relevant to today"!

in the federal system, about one out of every six federal inmates is in federal prison for marijuana. That's a very large number. There are more people now in federal prison for marijuana offenses than for violent offenses. Out of the 1.1 million people in American prisons, the marijuana offenders are not the majority. But there are a lot of them. And certainly, at a time when there's a shortage of prison space and when murderers are serving on average about six years in prison, it seems absurd to have non-violent marijuana offenders locked up in those large numbers.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/dope/interviews/schlosser.html

Decriminalizing marijuana would make a huge difference.

Thank you, Spike. It's nice for someone to realize that I wasn't just thinking of my own personal wants :)

Thank you, Spike. It's nice for someone to realize that I wasn't just thinking of my own personal wants :)

Not my fault you didn't "address the issue" first. Spike just did. Thank you spike. Have a lolipop.

Oh, and about the issue ... Every single person in jail for Pot use knowingly and willingly broke the law. Legalizing it won't change the fact that every single one of them willingly broke a law, and will do so again.

Depends on whether they thought the law was valid. Smoking pot won't turn you into a car thief...unless you really REALLY need Cheetos at 4AM.

Perhaps you guys should try decriminalizing pot-smoking and minor possession first and see how you like it :)

:canada:

Not my fault you didn't "address the issue" first. Spike just did. Thank you spike. Have a lolipop.

Oh, and about the issue ... Every single person in jail for Pot use knowingly and willingly broke the law. Legalizing it won't change the fact that every single one of them willingly broke a law, and will do so again.

Sorry I didn't provide you with linkage.
I will readily admit that these folks broke the law, I just find it to be a silly antiquated law.
How goes the "decriminalization" up in your neck of the woods?

Wouldn't know. It's not exactly high up on my list of things to worry about. It's still illegal within a radius of 50 feet from my person, and 100 feet from anywhere I reside .... with severe punishments meted out.

There's an issue I take issue with. If it's only a silly antiquated law ... get it changed. If it's so silly, a la can't feed a horse after 9pm on the forth night of a full moon, it should be easy to get changed. Same with the damn speedlimits. If they're so nonsensical, your reasoning before the legislature should stun them into an emergency session to get it changed. Until then, it's still criminal behavior. No grey area there. A silly law is still a law.

Sorry I didn't provide you with linkage.
I will readily admit that these folks broke the law, I just find it to be a silly antiquated law.
How goes the "decriminalization" up in your neck of the woods?

It is a silly law. Pot smokers are pretty harmless compared to people drinking. The prisons are far too overcrowded already to the point where violent criminals are getting easy sentences..

Let them out so there can be more focus on violent crime and quit wasting tax dollars on pot smokers.

If you legalize it and tax it like Tonksy said it's a double bonus.

It is a silly law. Pot smokers are pretty harmless compared to people drinking. The prisons are far too overcrowded already to the point where violent criminals are getting easy sentences..

Let them out so there can be more focus on violent crime and quit wasting tax dollars on pot smokers.

If you legalize it and tax it like Tonksy said it's a double bonus.

I'm not so sure that's true. OTOH, I find it unconscionable that alcohol and tobacco are legal and marijuana is not. But then I think all drugs should be legalized and regulated. Most of the currently illegal ones are less harmful than a lot of the prescribable ones. The anti-tobacco folks have shown us how to get rid of drugs, we as a society are too stupid to understand what we've seen. :shrug:

What??!? It's a step...beats legalizing it altogether.

*shakes head* How much did that university degree cost you again?

First off, what issue are you addressing? Spike's over crowded prisons?
Second, what advantage would decriminalisation have?
Third, what do either of those two have to do with me trying it?

Fourth, what advantage would deciminalisation have over legalisation, except to confuse a bunch of kids who don't know the difference, and will now think that it's all fine and dandy, coz it's not illegal anymore, so fuck what Mom and Dad have to say?

Take your time.

BTW, Bish .... when your boy's old enough, you gonna buy him his first splif? There's a proud poppa moment for ya.

Back