Barack Obama, advocate for killing babies throughout the known world

spike

The US is highest on that list. OK. I bet we talk about it & talk about it & talk about it & talk about it & talk about it...yet teens still get pregnant, people still get HIV & other assorted STDs.

Actually a large percentage of parents don't talk about it.

Talk doesn't work. Abstinence does, every time it's tried.

You'd have to talk about abstinence for it to work.

Also condoms work.

Bring back shame. It worked a hell of a lot better than "Don't But..."

In most cases there's nothing to be ashamed of. So responsibility would be a better.

spike

Ladies & gentlemen, I present, the problem.

The fact that there is nothing to be ashamed of is not a problem.

Don't end sentences in prepositions. What, you a public school victm?

Don't lecture me on writing with as many mistakes as you make. Are you a home school victim?

MrBishop

But wait! To make this issue even more interesting ...

Maybe if our poor could qualify as foreigners they might get coverage.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090127/D95V83N81.html
Need I remind you of the butt-load of add-ons that Dubya et al had in the stimulus package? You guys need condoms more than wooden arrows for toy bows.

At least with condoms, the recipient will at least be in a good mood the next day and will go looking for a job :D

MrBishop

Hey, it was better to kill it than give it to some family who really wanted it. Good decision on your part if you ask me. They probably would have just abused it by spanking it with a coat hanger anyway.
First of all..that was harsh.
Second - 1.3million per year. How do you plan on having 1.3million kids adopted per year (USA alone)?

I'm all for reducing the number of abortions...dramatically, if possible. But browbeating those who chose to abort isn't the way to do it, nor is refusing to educate kids on birth control. Going 'lalala' and telling kids "Just don't do it" is the worst of all - cause we all know that kids go out of their way to listen to their parents, right?

Accurate and complete sex-ed starting as early before sexual awakening as possible, followed by the teaching of responsible sexual contact (consensual and with a physical barrier system *condom is best), and stress/guilt free access to said condoms is the only way that you'll reduce unwanted pregnancy, especially in teens and tweens.

It'll also go a long way towards getting rid of HIV/AIDS, Hep, Chlamydia, Herpes et al.

Anything else is wishful thinking.

You see this is where conservatism fails utterly and completely. Probably part of why they want us to deny science in favor of creationism (as if this intelligent god was not intelligent enough to have created evolution?). I mean don't get me wrong because Liberals have a whole other set of faults, but it seems as if conservatives always want to live in the past or be behind times by several decades or even centuries. They want to deny modern realities and changes in favor of archaic beliefs that are outdated and outmoded. The fact is with technology and such changing as fast as it is, they are losing their foothold in politics and in society.

Personally I think a good moral upbringing does a child good, even religion if it isn't presented in a negative fear based way. I also think it's fine to encourage abstinence, but it should be backed up with all the info. They should be told about pregnancy, STDs, birth control, all the facts, even about the ins and outs of teen romance. A child should never be made to be ashamed or afraid to come to his/her parents, because that's what causes such problems in the first place. You see when you lie or withhold the truth from a child they will find out. How much will they trust you or be inclined to listen to you or take direction from you once they find out that they cannot expect to get the truth from you?

As I said congrats on those early grandkids, because if you have a kid approaching sexual maturity any time soon and fear and shame and half truths are the law of the land in your home, then I'd lay bets you will have early grandkids. Same goes for drugs and drinking. Teach a child the truth and be loving and communicative, and usually they will make good choices, but set a bad example or lie, and they will know not to come to you for guidance. I've seen it over and over.....

But I know, you and yours are different, right?

BlurOfSerenity

A child should never be made to be ashamed or afraid to come to his/her parents, because that's what causes such problems in the first place. You see when you lie or withhold the truth from a child they will find out. How much will they trust you or be inclined to listen to you or take direction from you once they find out that they cannot expect to get the truth from you?

THIS.

(at this point, i'm just in this thread to voice my agreement with certain things that are said. and to be a poet and not know it.)

Let me just give an example. I think it was about eight years ago when my son came home from some concert, (I honestly don't recall) stoned off his ass. I recognized it immediately having been "experienced". Of course I asked him what was up and he told me. He told me because he knew that he could trust that I wouldn't over react. I told him to go to his room and enjoy it and get some sleep because I wanted to talk with him about it. I did it in a non threatening way and the next day he was a little nervous because he knew it was a big thing. We'd talked about drugs before but I knew it was time to go more in depth. The first thing I told him is that he was not in trouble in any way. I told him it is his life, he can make his own decisions and I will not try to make him do or not do anything.

Then, I told him about my experience, and about some friends of ours he knows and a couple relatives. I told him about all the fun it was at first, but I made sure to follow up with all the trouble that came later. I even had the good fortune of having an old classmate I still write to doing prison time behind drug related charges. I called all these people later and asked them to feel free to talk openly with him about all of this, their past, my past, all of it. I finished up with the fact that because marijuana is illegal, that I will be very disappointed if he ever brings actual drugs into our home, and that I may have to really lay down the law, but that if it ever came to that it would be out of love for him and the family. I told him he can always come to me about such issues and so long as he doesn't break our house rules I would let him make his own decisions and just tell him what I think. I told him to talk to any of the people I mentioned and hear it from them.

Now see, I know I got lucky. I believe I did the right thing. The best thing I could do under the circumstances, but by his own account he tried it like two more times and then figured it was not worth the trouble. He saw that what I had said about his friends who did it regularly was true, and he had no reason to defy dad, when he knew dad knew of what he spoke. He's now starting law school and I could not be more proud. Him and his crowd sometimes drink a bit much for my comfort, but he always knows he has the support of his mother and I. Would that I would have had such supportive parents! I am sure sometimes it doesn't always work out, but since we can't make decisions for our kids, isn't it best they have all the facts to make good decisions on their own? I think so.

BlurOfSerenity

i think so too!

on the other side of that coin, my friend once found herself in a bad situation in which other people she thought were her friends were doing drugs and being unsafe and making her very uncomfortable, but even though she had no part in it other than awkwardly being there, she was too afraid to call her mom to come get her, because she thought her mom would be angry and never trust her again and she'd never hear the end of it. so she didn't call. she's very lucky things did't end up a lot worse than they did.

BlurOfSerenity

(she's since talked about it with her dad, and he said that if she ever needs him, to call him, and if her mom has a problem with it, she can just deal!)

valkyrie

It is fairly obvious that you would be very surprised on the number of people who are willing to give of themselves by taking in handicapped children. Sad, that.

I am a licensed foster care parent. I haven't had any kids for several years, though.
How many of them are severely physically and mentally handicapped? ;)

I wasn't talking about me.
You wrote:
But then threw in this:
So which was it -- the fact that it would inconvenience you to stop taking the drug to preserve the health of the baby; or the fact that it would inconvenience you to have it? Sounds to me like you simply didn't want to be inconvenienced one way or the other.
Yes. Free of inconvenience.
Huh? You make no sense? I have no time machine!

Doesn't matter about inconvenience or not. It is a mute point. And that's what get's under your skin. That's what makes you judgmental and angry and bitter about what other people choose to do with their bodies. You want control over others that you can never have. I feel sorry for you.

I bet you're one of those people who drives 5 miles under the speed limit in the fast lane on the freeway and then tries to cut people off when they try to pass you. ;) Control freak.

valkyrie

First of all..that was harsh.
Second - 1.3million per year. How do you plan on having 1.3million kids adopted per year (USA alone)?

I'm all for reducing the number of abortions...dramatically, if possible. But browbeating those who chose to abort isn't the way to do it, nor is refusing to educate kids on birth control. Going 'lalala' and telling kids "Just don't do it" is the worst of all - cause we all know that kids go out of their way to listen to their parents, right?

Accurate and complete sex-ed starting as early before sexual awakening as possible, followed by the teaching of responsible sexual contact (consensual and with a physical barrier system *condom is best), and stress/guilt free access to said condoms is the only way that you'll reduce unwanted pregnancy, especially in teens and tweens.

It'll also go a long way towards getting rid of HIV/AIDS, Hep, Chlamydia, Herpes et al.

Anything else is wishful thinking.
A spike in teen pregnancy (in some states, double digit increases) has appeared in correlation with abstinence only education.

(Oh, and thanks for getting my back.)