Bitch about work thread.

Altron

FUCK.

I haven't posted in awhile, so here goes.

Last monday was my day off.
Tuesday, I woke up at 7AM like usual, dragged my ass to school, then left at 3:00 and worked until 11:00 or so.
Wednesday, the same, except school got out early so I went to work at 11:30 and went home at 11:45.
Crashed for like ten hours, then had a nice Thanksgiving at my grandparents' place.
Left around 6:00PM, decided to go to bed by 7:00 so I would be alright for black friday.

Longest seven hours of my life. I didn't sleep a wink. I tried all different positions and blankets and pajamas and everything, but I just couldn't fall asleep. Might have been because I had only been awake for like eight hours, and hadn't done anything tiring. Later on, it was established that most of my coworkers experienced the same thing.
So, I finally say "fuckit" at around 2:00AM friday, and drive to Wawa. I grab a hoagie and some green tea and go to work. Arrive at around 2:55. I chat with the people in line for a bit. Two of my coworkers showed up at around 3:00, and the managers showed up at 3:05 to let us in.
The lady showed up around 4:00, and we kicked ass and took names.

Corporate told us that they were turning off "Go-Gets" (on the website, you can choose to buy stuff online and have it shipped to your house or pick it up at the store. Go-Gets print out when someone buys something online for instore pickup. We have 15 minutes to pull it off the floor and set it aside) until 11:00AM, because it would be too busy.

So, we happily ignore it, then at 11:00, we discover that corporate didn't turn off go-gets. There were 175 of them waiting for us. Each one takes about 3-4 minutes, depending on the person and the size of the order.

Now, the way we handle inventory is to put it all out on the floor. Everything is "net sale" which means you can buy it and walk out the door with it. When a Go-Get comes in, it moves the items from netsale to pickup.
However, there is nothing to stop netsale from going negative.
Now, the people who bought online were a bunch of shitpacking pansies who wanted to buy the six hour specials but didn't want to fight over them, so they figured "hey, why not buy it online and pick it up tomarrow".
So, these people bought all this shit, but since it was all on the floor, customers picked it up and carried it around and bought it. So, the netsale quantity was negative, so there wasn't anything for pickup. Even if netsale wasn't negative, it usually meant that some customer was carrying it around but hadn't bought it.

So, we had complete chaos and panic. The lady, the warehouse lead, the warehouse lead's girlfriend, and I spent like four hours doing just go-gets. We finally pulled all the items we could and entered the ones we couldn't as not in stock. I didn't get a chance to take a lunch break until 3:30.

I didn't make it out until midnight, which put me halfway to OT on my first day. The lady came back in at 10:00 (she was off at 2:00, stayed until 3:00 to help with go-gets) to help me out getting the place buttoned up.

Saturday morning, I was back in at 7:30AM, worked until 3:15 or so, didn't get a chance to go on break, went home, crashed for an hour, then saw The Who.

Sunday morning, into the grinder at 10:00AM, out at 6:15 or so.

Monday, tuesday, and wednesday I'm pulling 3-8 shifts to help un-fuck-up everything.

Now, I'm a regular dude, not really a manager. I had quite an interesting experience. I was working on something, and my boss told me to do something, so I asked someone else to do it, the guy who isn't allowed into my car anymore, and he got pissed off at me. My boss saw, and told him "If Taylor asks you to do something, treat it like me telling you to do something."

I ended up with 34.75 hours on the clock. Last week was 44.50. I should be at 44.75 for this week if I make it in on time and don't stay late or take breaks.

It's fucking exciting. I'm going to ask her out one night this week. (I wanted to during black friday, but I was too swamped with working to do anything)

Oh, and a certain stone totally killed two birds. There is one guy who works there, who 23 said is a 'hottie' and who chats with her from time to time (altho, she was talking to him like three weeks ago for like 10 minutes, and keeping me out of earshot, and since then, he's been all friendly with me). There's also the girl who works there who everyone thought I had a crush on, and then everyone thought had a crush on me. They're dating now. She and the warehouse lead's girlfriend said that they're gonna help me hit on 23.

Oh, and The Who was fucking amazing.

Altron

Some really fucking retarded people there. Came in with their kids' xmas lists and expected us to find every single item for them.

I religiously stuck to the "thirty second rule". I have 30 seconds to talk to you. If you don't recieve the information you want during those 30 seconds, too fucking bad.

I got yelled at because I flat out refused to find a CD for someone. They wanted some CD. I was like "Here's the 'Rock' section. If we have it, it will be here. If you can't find it, we don't have it."

IT'S BLACK FRIDAY, YOU FUCKING RETARD. TODAY IS NOT THE DAY TO LOOK FOR OBSCURE CDS. GRAB THE GODDAMN CIRCULAR AND BUY ALL THE SALE SHIT. IF IT ISN'T ON SALE, YOU SHOULDN'T BUY IT TODAY. COME IN NEXT WEEK AND BUY IT, DUMBASS.

Then assholes got pissed off because stuff wasn't on sale. IT'S NOT THAT FUCKING HARD. IN THE COMICS SECTION OF THE NEWSPAPER, THERE IS A FLYER. IN IT IS EVERYTHING THAT IS ON SALE. IF IT'S NOT IN IT, THEN IT IS NOT FUCKING ON SALE."

"What's the price on this movie"
"$19.99"
"What do you mean?"

SEE THE GODDAMN STICKER ON THE TOP THAT SAYS '$19.99?' THAT MEANS THAT IT IS NINETEEN FUCKING DOLLARS AND NINETY NINE FUCKING CENTS. IT'S NOT ON SALE. IT'S BLACK FRIDAY, YOU IDIOT. WE PUT A BUNCH OF SHIT ON SALE. IT'S NOT "EVERYTHING IN THE STORE HALF PRICE" FRIDAY.

We closed around $950,000.

Then I got yelled at because the line was too long. HOW THE FUCK IS IT MY FAULT THAT A BUNCH OF FUCKING RETARDS DECIDED TO SHOP TODAY? EVERY OPERATIONAL REGISTER IN THE STORE IS OPEN AND IN USE.

K62

Many people bitch about my job. 200ish days a year at sea, LONNNNG days at sea, lack of sleep, work-ups, etc.

I don't waste my time concentrating on the negative points, it's not all bad :D

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Now, the people who bought online were a bunch of shitpacking pansies who wanted to buy the six hour specials but didn't want to fight over them, so they figured "hey, why not buy it online and pick it up tomarrow".

Smarter than the average bear.

Go-get their shit & put if in the warehouse or behind the customer service counter. That way, it's not taken by somebody who didn't buy it.

IT'S NOT "EVERYTHING IN THE STORE HALF PRICE" FRIDAY.

Why the hell not?

Professur

Why the hell not?

Because the whole point is to get you into the store buying stuff in the first place. Then, since you're already gonna stand in line like a freaking sheep, they figure you'll go and do the rest of your shopping at full price, rather than come back again, and again, and again.

Altron

Go-get their shit & put if in the warehouse or behind the customer service counter. That way, it's not taken by somebody who didn't buy it.

Yeah, because our "Limited Quantity" door-buster sales weren't sold out at 2PM in the afternoon, when we were doing the go-gets.

Did you not read it? Go-gets were supposed to be off. They weren't. We didn't find out until almost noon. Then we had to do all those web orders that were ordered six hours earlier, when we still had stuff in stock.

We had a pile of 30 items. 5 people bought it online. Then 30 people walked out the door with it. Then we started go-gets.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Welcome to retail. Good luck.

Yeah good luck indeed...this is why I only ever worked 2 or 3 months in retail (over Christmas) and then made sure that I always found a job that was something else...factory, office, asphalt, whatever...just NOT retail.

The only people who can work retail without eventually going insane are those who can just laugh it off all the time. A friend of mine is now a manager of a grocery store, when he worked in produce people used to actually try to bargain with him on the prices...and bitch because the bananas were green not yellow and then call him a liar when he told them that green bananas turn yellow with time. When people tried to bargain with him he'd tell him that he wanted to trade them his goat for their shoes or something and point to an imaginary goat, then walk away laughing.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
I spent a couple or three years doing exactly what Altron is doing (competitor of CC). Realize the customer is always right but can be steered to your way of thinking & all will be well.

Altron

This is me venting for your amusement.

I bust my balls when I'm at work.

I'm a hardcore optimist. I refuse to let things get to me.