• Tennessee Titans

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Green Bay Packers

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Cleveland Browns

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

unclehobart

Omg... Browns beat the Jets... Raiders beat the Steelers... I'm going to mod the last post to reflect the late game.

unclehobart

Bears and Colts are still undefeated... Who will blink first?

What in the heck happend to the Eagles? They're folding faster than a pair of twos in seven card stud.

Altron

Can someone explain how the different teams are ranked against each other?

Why weren't the Patriots playing today?

Why do the Eagles suck?

I'm glad I have next Sunday off. I am allowed to wear a football jersey to work on Sundays during football season, but after today's game, I put my CCity shirt back on.

I'm bummed that the Steelers and Eagles lost, but the Giants continue to kick ass and take names, which is great.

I also realized today that this could be the last time I root for the eagles, if I go to Stevens. Hoboken = Giants territory.

spike

Is it time to put the Steelers on the Hall of Shame yet?

I wouldn't count out San Diego for the big game yet. Their only two losses were by 3 points each.

BB

are the Rams still going?

Didn't they move or somet?

anyway i support the rams (if they are still around?)

failing that - i support the underdogs ... maybe some plucky team from a small pit village or something ... having a go aginst the big boys in the cup!

rrfield

Patriots play the Vikings tonight. Go Vikes! (pats will probably win, the vikes top 2 receivers are out and the passing game isn't exactly setting the world on fire with them).

Rams are in St. Louis. San Diego is looking good. Very good.
Roethlisberger should not have played this week, his brain = dead.

SouthernN'Proud

Southern Discomfort
I keep waiting for those magic words that I know I will hear next Spring:

"With the third pick in the 2007 NFL Draft, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select..."

Inkara1

BB, the Rams moved from Los Angeles to St. Louis between the 1994 and 1995 season. Incidentally, the Raiders, who had moved from Oakland to LA in the early 1980s, moved back to Oakland the same time the Rams moved, meaning LA went from having two teams in 1994 to no teams in 1995.

BB

cheers for that :) - how are they doing then?

is it not a bit wierd wierd for a team to move around so?
I mean i don't know - Atlanta Falcons say (is that right?) - their fans i'm guessing are mainly probably people from Atlanta in the main - if they (the team and whatnot) moved to, say ... Paris and the ...er- Parisian 'Arrogants' fetched up back in Atlanta ...would the same fans be happy???

the Rams here are Derby County FC (pronounced 'DARBY' as it is in England, btw ... not durby :D )

If we had some team from, say , Nottingham turn up here - there'd be Riots! ( absolutely seriously)

what's that all about then?

er- so as you may have gathered i don't know that much about your American version of footie - but what are you guys (and gals) predictions for the Cup final this year ? (er- i mean Superbowl)

rrfield

BB - NFL (and all major league clubs, regardless of sport) often hold their local and state governments hostage, demanding new stadiums and tax breaks, using the argument that a major league sport in a cities down town area brings lots of tax revenue to the city. Studies have been done, some say this is true some say it's a pant load of crap.

When a city doesn't pony up, the team moves.

In the NFL specifically, there was a major rash of team movement in the mid 90's (Rams, Raiders, Browns, Oilers), and as a result the NFL put new rules into place that make moving much harder. Owners must prove some sort of "economic hardship" before they will be allowed to move.

Baseball teams, back around the turn of the previous century, used to change cities like normal people change underware.

Inkara1

cheers for that :) - how are they doing then?

is it not a bit wierd wierd for a team to move around so?
I mean i don't know - Atlanta Falcons say (is that right?) - their fans i'm guessing are mainly probably people from Atlanta in the main - if they (the team and whatnot) moved to, say ... Paris and the ...er- Parisian 'Arrogants' fetched up back in Atlanta ...would the same fans be happy???

It's what's known as money talking. If a team wants the city it's in to help with financing a new stadium, with more luxury boxes and the like in order to bring in more revenue, and that city won't help and another city will, then the team's owner (teams are actual businesses, owned by individuals or companies) will pack up the team and move it. Sometimes fans will stay loyal to that team after it moves, sometimes not.

For example, Houston had a football team called the Oilers for quite a long time... but the Oilers moved to Nashville, Tennessee in the mid-1990s (they were the Tennessee Oilers for a few years, then changed their name to the Tennessee Titans). Then, for the 2002 season, a new football team was formed in Houston, called the Texans. I don't know how many Titans fans there are in Houston, but I'm sure there are quite a few.

Plenty of teams have moved, though. In addition to the Rams, Raiders and Titans, as already mentioned, the Kansas City Chiefs were once the Dallas Texans, the Arizona Cardinals were once the St. Louis Cardinals, the Baltimore Ravens used to be the Cleveland Browns (they made a new Cleveland Browns team later) and the Indianapolis Colts used to be the Baltimore Colts. That's what I can think of off the top of my head.

Inkara1

Arg... the thing that sucks about typing up a long response at work is that I get interrupted and then beat to the punch.

rrfield

lessee..

Colts - Baltimore -> Indianapolis
Browns/Ravens - Cleveland -> Baltimore
Rams - Cleveland -> LA -> St. Louis
Cardinals - Chicago -> St. Louis -> Phoenix -> Arizona
Oilers/Titans - Houston -> Tennessee
Bears - Decatur -> Chicago
Raiders - Oakland -> LA -> Oakland
Chargers - LA -> San Diego
Texans/Chiefs - Dallas -> Kansas City

Any others?

edit
Braves/Redskins - Boston -> Washington

Inkara1

The Cardinals were never in Phoenix, even though they had a Phoenix name... they always played at Sun Devil Stadium (at Arizona State University) in Tempe... now they have a new stadium in Glendale.

Of course, then again, the LA Rams actually played in Anaheim... they used to share a stadium with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, back when they were the California Angels... but no one called them the Los Angeles Rams of Anaheim.