That's it, we're toast

Squiggy

ThunderDick
Gonz said:
We will turn Iraq into a democractic country or they'll die trying.

:disgust2: I could have sworn we "liberated" them...not conquered them...at least thats what I was told....Oh yeah. That was Bush what said that. Guess its just another lie.

rrfield

Gonz said:
So, from now on, a country that goes to war is supposed to give a timetable, like "THe Czech Republic will now invade & conquer Norway" We will do it in 450 days." That would be ludicrous. It gives the enemy a date to survive until and that is not how war works. We will turn Iraq into a democractic country or they'll die trying. ;)

Timetables aren't what's needed...a clear exit stragety and definition of victory are. That's what we had in Gulf War I, once Iraq was out of Kuwait, victory was ours and we were done. Exit stragety. Clear definition of victory. What are they in this war?

rrfield

rrfield

Gonz said:
We will turn Iraq into a democractic country or they'll die trying. ;)

Does every other country have to be a democracy just because we are? Oh wait, we aren't a democracy either (we are a representative republic if I recall). Does everyone have to be a representitive republic?

Ever consider that the arab culture doesn't allow for a democracy/rep.rep., much like the asian culture?

Why don't we just claim Manifest Destiny again? (New motto: From Oil Well to Burning Oil Well).

rrfield

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
rr said:
What are they in this war?

A free & democratically controlled republic ruled by the people under constitutional laws & regulations (haven't you been paying attention to David Breemer & the Iraqi council)

AlladinSane

Gonz said:
So, from now on, a country that goes to war is supposed to give a timetable, like "THe Czech Republic will now invade & conquer Norway" We will do it in 450 days." That would be ludicrous. It gives the enemy a date to survive until and that is not how war works.
For a country that's intending to conquer and pillage another, there's no reason to fix a time limit. Though, by the "we're going to save them and help them" bullshit you keep repeating I thought it was not the case.
We will turn Iraq into a democractic country or they'll die trying. ;)
Then as I feared, you're going to get another 80's Afghanistan in you lap...

freako104

Squiggy said:
:disgust2: I could have sworn we "liberated" them...not conquered them...at least thats what I was told....Oh yeah. That was Bush what said that. Guess its just another lie.

iberate is a euphamism for conquer apparently

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Squiggy said:

I was hoping to ignore this but I suppose I again have to come & hold your hand thru the real world & it's minute differences & details.

We conquered the government in order to liberate the people. :p

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
rrfield said:
Timetables aren't what's needed...a clear exit stragety and definition of victory are. That's what we had in Gulf War I, once Iraq was out of Kuwait, victory was ours and we were done. Exit stragety. Clear definition of victory. What are they in this war?

rrfield

OIL, they'll claim victory and pull back when there's no oil left in Iraq.

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Put the smilie back...it was intended as a joke & thus I included a stupid smilie to reference that :p

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Luis G said:

We're going to run Iraq for centuries...cool ;) (see, Squiggy, that wink indicates I'm not entirely serious while still making a point)

freako104 said:
didnt they say there is no real connection between Sadam and teh Islamic terrorists?

From DEBKA-Net-Weekly: http://www.debka.com/article.php?aid=548:
Al Qaeda Mobilizes All Its Forces for Iraq
August 26, 2003, 6:19 PM (GMT+02:00):

"US officials are reporting their sense that hundreds of Osama bin Laden’s members are now operating inside Iraq alongside Baathists in their bid to undermine the US presence and reconstruction efforts in Iraq."

http://www.techcentralstation.com/092503F.html:

"Some skeptics dismiss the emerging evidence of a longstanding link between Iraq and al Qaeda by contending that Saddam ran a secular dictatorship hated by Islamists like bin Laden. ...The most compelling reason for bin Laden to work with Saddam is money. Al Qaeda operatives have testified in federal courts that the terror network was always desperate for cash."

http://www.iraqinews.com/org_ansar_al-islam.shtml:

"Ansar al-Islam is a radical Kurdish Islamic group that is supportive of Saddam Hussein's regime. This group is located in the pseudo-autonomous Northern Iraq. This group has ties with Taliban and al-Qaeda. It is the most radical group operating in the Iraqi Kurdistan region...According to some reports, the group has received $600,000 from al-Qaeda...There are also reports stating that Ansar al-Islam received $35,000 from the Mukhabarat branch of Iraqi Intelligence Service, in addition to a considerable quantity of arms."

Luis G said:

Sweet--I'm getting tired of paying $1.55 for premium... but maybe this will delay sucking Iraq dry?

http://www.debka.com/article.php?aid=509 : "Oil installations are far more dilapidated than thought, constant prey to organized sabotage and criminal looting. Oil wells and pumping stations have been repeatedly damaged at both the northern and southern oil fields – and not only by diehard pro-Saddam guerrillas. Local tribal interests seeking a stake in the oil industry are behind some of the gangs of saboteurs, and looters make off with replacement parts as soon as they are installed."

I'd love to see gas drop below .75 --wait, wait -- .50 a gallon--do you think it will happen very soon?

chcr

Too cute for words
The Other One said:
Sweet--I'm getting tired of paying $1.55 for premium... but maybe this will delay sucking Iraq dry?

http://www.debka.com/article.php?aid=509 : "Oil installations are far more dilapidated than thought, constant prey to organized sabotage and criminal looting. Oil wells and pumping stations have been repeatedly damaged at both the northern and southern oil fields – and not only by diehard pro-Saddam guerrillas. Local tribal interests seeking a stake in the oil industry are behind some of the gangs of saboteurs, and looters make off with replacement parts as soon as they are installed."

I'd love to see gas drop below .75 --wait, wait -- .50 a gallon--do you think it will happen very soon?
Kind of a provincial outlook, don't you think? Big oil companies are large, multinational corporations. The US gets something like one percent of their oil from Iraq. This in no way implies that the afforementioned large, multinational corporations aren't still interested. It was about oil, it's about oil now, it will continue to be about oil. I suppose that the fact that the Bushes (pun not intended) and everyone they know are major players in the international oil busisness is mere coincidence. The war on terror would be a convincing argument if they were in fact doing anything about terrorism.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Luis G said:

If that were the case, we could've just invaded Mexico. Mexico has about the same amount of oil, and is much closer. That could also solve the problem of illegal aliens, and your visa conundrum, Luis... :D

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
yeah, but then it wouldn't have been quite so easy to bamboozle "we the people"...racism and hate seems to have been a handy tool there.

they'd have to send some muslim missionaries to do some work turning mexicans around first before they ever got support for that.

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
Leslie said:
yeah, but then it wouldn't have been quite so easy to bamboozle "we the people"...racism and hate seems to have been a handy tool there.

they'd have to send some muslim missionaries to do some work turning mexicans around first before they ever got support for that.

Naah. Just heap it on top of all the 'problems' the SW US is having over illegal immigration, and you'll find that you can get quite a bandwagon effect going...

BTW...Doesn't Canada have oil, too? ;)

Leslie

Communistrator
Staff member
yeah...but we also have Bryan Adams and Celine Dion...they're our invasion repellent...NOONE wants to be here ;)