Virtually all Iraq's utilities below pre invasion levels

Gato_Solo

Out-freaking-standing OTC member
catocom said:
Not enough.
Enough to catch more of the people planting the bombs, which way the went,
how they were traveling, what they were wearing...

We get tips every day. They don't make the news unless somebody gets killed. Even the ones I posted are never shown, and they're extremely positive...

freako104

Gato_Solo said:
We get tips every day. They don't make the news unless somebody gets killed. Even the ones I posted are never shown, and they're extremely positive...

Which I honestly feel is sad. I think both negatives and positives should be shown but we both know what is shown is for ratings and shit.

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
They should be helping all that they can. Its their country and its for their future. I dont expect them to go on a vigilante crusade, but helping authorities to find the bums putting the bombs out if they see them is a good thing.

Gato, that just shows what the media is really all about. the sensationalism, making it look worse than what it could be. Freak is right, its too bad they cant write about the good things happening over there.

catocom

Gato_Solo said:
Are there more co-operating now, than say a year ago?
I imagine the more secure it becomes, the more that will/are co-operate. :swing:

Gato_Solo

catocom said:
Are there more co-operating now, than say a year ago?
I imagine the more secure it becomes, the more that will/are co-operate. :swing:

Iraqi Army unit conducts first battalion-sized mission, nets 4 suspected insurgents

BALAD, Iraq – The Iraqi Army’s 1/4/1 Battalion conducted its first full battalion-sized operation Feb. 11 west of Baghdad, netting four suspected insurgents.

The operation, advised by U.S. Special Operations Forces, was a cordon and search mission designed to track insurgents and sweep for weapons caches.

The mission was deemed a success by both the Iraqi battalion’s leaders and the U.S. SOF advisors because of the large scope of the task and the successful apprehension of the four persons of interest.

None of the combined force was killed or injured during the operation.

SOF elements from the Combined Joint Special Operations Task Force – Arabian Peninsula here are involved throughout Iraq in training and advising the Iraqi Special Operations Forces Brigade, as well as other Iraqi Security Forces, including army and police units.

I'd say that they're coming along quite nicely...

Gato_Solo

flavio said:
Cool, more suspects to hold indefinately without trial.

:alienhuh:

This was an Iraqi mission. That means a fair trial followed by a first-class execution... :lloyd:

Gato_Solo

flavio said:
Wow, the Iraqis have passed us in civil rights areas.

I can't believe you said that...or is it something else...you have problems following sentence framework...

According to flavio, we should try each person in Gitmo, and then execute them, because that would be in line with civil rights. :rofl4:

Gotta love those comprehension skillz... :brush:

Gonz

molṑn labé
Staff member
Gato_Solo said:
I can't believe you said that...or is it something else...you have problems following sentence framework...

According to flavio, we should try each person in Gitmo, and then execute them, because that would be in line with civil rights. :rofl4:

Gotta love those comprehension skillz... :brush:

can we, huh? can we can we? Huh? Huh? pleaaasssssssse

catocom

Gato_Solo said:
I'd say that they're coming along quite nicely...
cool. In that case I recant one of my earlier statements, as old news. :lloyd:

I do hear, still, about some bombs killing people these days, but not blowing up
utilities so much.

mondomondo

samcurry said:
Freak is right, its too bad they cant write about the good things happening over there.

I wholeheartedly agree. Also, I wish we could hear about the good things happening in North Korea, Ethiopia, Darfur, Bangladesh, Nigeria, Somalia, Chechnya, Haiti ...

Plain and simple, the occupation of Iraq is a total goat fuck. You can tie a red-white-and-blue ribbon around a lump of shit and say "Mission Accomplished", but you still end up with a lump of shit. Nothing is going to change in Iraq until we leave and the Iraqi people are forced to take their country back. Until then, the mentality will always be: "Better them than us."

</sarcasm>

[Okay, this is my last political post. Really.]

samcurry

Screwing with the code...
Staff member
im all for letting them take their country back. And i want all our people outta there.

But mondo am i to intrepret that you think the us should just stay home and keep our head in the sand?

and flav, that is the law of their land dont like it, dont go there. civil rights.... get real i suppose they had it better with sadam.

catocom

Gonz said:
Glad to see you are on the short sighted side.
I agree with that statement.
The occupation of the terrorist IS a total goat fuck. :lol2:
We are making it better though.

Gato_Solo

flavio said:
Yes, you constantly attribute things I didn't say to me....therefore it's due to comprehension issues.

Nope. You didn't understand what I wrote, and jumped to a conclusion that was unsubstantiated. I called you on it, and now you wish to redirect the flow to make yourself look less embarassed. :D

Gato_Solo

IA, MND-B Soldiers destroy 19 roadside bombs, find 3 caches, detain 29 suspected terrorists

BAGHDAD, Iraq – Iraqi Army and Multi-National Division -- Baghdad Soldiers found and destroyed 11 roadside bombs and three weapons caches in the last 24 hours as well as conducted two major offensive operations resulting in the detention of 29 suspected terrorists.

Soldiers from 3rd Battalion, 6th Iraqi Army Division and 2nd Battalion, 22nd Infantry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division, worked together in order to disrupt anti-Iraqi force activity northwest of Baghdad in a combined cordon and search operation that began Feb. 15 at approximately 11:30 p.m. and ended Feb. 17.

The 6th IA and 2-22 Inf. Regt. cordon and search operation netted 11 suspected terrorists and three weapons caches.

The first cache consisted of 19 x RPGs, 18 x RPG 7M rounds, one Russian-made light anti-tank weapon, one 120 mm mortar tube, three 82 mm mortar tubes, two RPK light machine guns, one FNL assault rifle, one SA-7 surface-to-air missile (no launcher), 22 x 120mm, 25 x 129 mm, five 107 mm, two 125 mm artillery rounds and eight 82 mm, eight 57 mm, seven 80 mm, two 130 mm mortar rounds, 5,000 rounds of 7.62 mm, 1,500 rounds of 12.5 mm, powder charges and Motorola radios.

At the site of the cache, the Iraqi and MND-B Soldiers found a terrain model, two fighting positions, and two underground tunnels.

The second weapons cache consisted of one SKS carbine rifle, 400 armor piercing rounds, five RPG rounds, two 30 mm, one 60 mm, one 120 mm, and five 20 mm rounds, an explosive of unknown composition, and 17 155 mm fuses.

The third cache consisted of two 130 mm mortars, six 60 mm mortars, two anti-aircraft guns, two .50 cal machineguns, 17 rockets, one 130 mm mortar round, 18 82 mm mortar rounds, 15 60 mm mortar rounds, six 30 mm rounds, four PG7 anti-tank rounds, 14 RPG rounds, 30 hand grenades, 87 heavy machinegun rounds, 106 anti-aircraft rounds, one crate of .50 cal ammunition, 12 RPG fuses, six RPG boosters, and one bag of gunpowder.

“We have the enemy on the run,” said Lt. Col. Kevin Brown, commander, 2-22 Inf. Regt. “The success we had in the inner city areas of Abu Ghraib the first 6 months in country caused the enemy to find sanctuary out here in the less populated urban areas."

“Now, with the Muthana Brigade of the Iraqi Army keeping the pressure on (the terrorists) in Abu Ghraib, and the establishment of Firebase Courage, we’ve been able to stretch our operations further, and continue to reduce AIF sanctuary and freedom of movement. Combined with the success achieved by Iraqi Special Forces in locating associated targets either in concert with or as a result of our operations – it’s a complete team effort. We are winning.”

Coalition Explosive Ordnance Disposal teams destroyed the four caches.

Additionally, Iraqi Special Troops Company and Macedonian Rangers executed Operation Level Sand this morning at 1 a.m. north of Baghdad in order to neutralize terrorist activity and destroy weapons caches in the area.

The operation netted 18 suspected terrorists and resulted in the confiscation of ten AK-47s and three pistols.

Gato_Solo

Oh, yeah...while I'm posting good news...

Civil Engineers make Baghdad a better place to live

BAGHDAD, Iraq – Responsible for the rebuilding of Baghdad’s essential services, such as the restoration and improvement of electricity, water, sewer and transportation systems, the members of the 4th Brigade Combat Team Infrastructure Coordination Element have their work cut out for them.

A daunting task that requires support from the Iraqi government, several U.S. governmental agencies, and non-governmental organizations, reconstruction efforts are one of the many missions facing the 4th BCT, 4th Infantry Division.

“We bridge the gap by developing relationships, not only with the Iraqis, to gain their priorities – that is really where we are trying to focus – but also with the (Iraqi) state department (ministers) that are currently standing up,” said Maj. Ray Proske, executive officer, 4th Special Troops Battalion, 4th BCT,

The coordination cell works with local leaders within the communities and neighborhoods to identify and service their particular needs – working to coordinate the repair of Iraqi essential services within the brigade’s prescribed area of operations.

“Each of the different areas has its unique challenges,” Proske said. “One thing to keep in mind: most of the infrastructure in this country was built more than 20 years ago and has been very poorly maintained – and especially since 1990.”

The problem is also complicated by numerous unauthorized taps on the city’s water and electrical systems, further draining an already depleted infrastructure, said Proske.

This will only be resolved once the city begins to regulate the services it provides to the people living in Baghdad, he added.

The biggest task before the four-man team, which is responsible for overseeing special reconstruction projects in central and south Baghdad, is working with the local Iraqi governance to ensure that the planning, upkeep and improvement of city systems happens as efficiently as possible.

The engineers are trying to overcome this challenge by hiring local Iraqi engineers to maintain and supervise the many ongoing projects and to assist in quality assurance, thus ensuring the contractors are providing an adequate product, said Proske.

“Though we have a small staff, the local Iraqi engineers are absolutely vital to operations for the ICE,” he said.

Currently, the program has one local consultant engineer, an Iraqi man named Thamer, who wears many hats.

Thamer, a 46-year old electrical engineer, is responsible for identifying all the scopes of work within the communities and coordinating the execution of each project through the different government agencies.

“After that, we bid for those projects. We call contractors, and we give them those bids to submit it at those prices,” Thamer said. “We analyze the price and compare it with the quantity to see if it is reasonable or not.”

Thamer, who earned his masters degree in engineering from the University of Birmingham, United Kingdom, also manages several Iraqi site engineers, who supervise the local contractors to ensure the quality of work, and that the projects are completed in a timely manner.

After the project is finished, the ICE also maintains contacts with the two district advisory councils within the brigade’s battle space and the Iraqi government to ensure that the completed work meets the Iraqi people’s needs.

“Our goal is to give a very good project to serve the people,” Thamer said. “We are in constant contact with the departments and the employees with the district council in order to coordinate with the contractors.”

Capt. Robert Graetz, sewers project manager, Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 4th STB, said he hopes that the projects being completed now will eventually lay the groundwork for larger construction projects that will increase the capabilities of the current systems.

As the civil engineers work to improve living conditions for the communities, they are also working to help the Iraqi people become self-sufficient.

“A good solution is, instead of throwing a lot of money into project after project, invest funding into the city government to prop up their operating budget so that they can do it themselves,” said Graetz, a native of Union Grove. Wis.

A West Point graduate with a masters degree from the University of Missouri – Rolla, Graetz said that one way the U.S. Army is accomplishing this goal is by providing equipment, training and technical expertise to the maintenance departments and the local communities within the districts.

Most of the projects beginning during 4th BCT’s deployment in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom will take a while to complete, said Graetz. In fact, many of the end effects of the projects will not be seen until after 4th BCT has completed its mission and redeployed.

Despite this fact, “generally, making Baghdad a better place to live,” will remain the ICE Cell’s primary mission and full-time job, said Graetz.

flavio

Banned
samcurry said:
and flav, that is the law of their land dont like it, dont go there. civil rights.... get real i suppose they had it better with sadam.
What is the law of their land you're referring to? ...and yes last time i checked most of them said it is worse now than with Sadam. Stuff like this doesn't help.