Fuel Consumption/Car type

HomeLAN

Dave said:
that quick with the Dodge. my last car (Subaru) took over 15k to feel settled in. the one before that (Ford) felt settled in before 10k.
must be an american car thing.

Yeah. It went from saying "see ya later" when you goosed it to saying "see ya WAY fuckin' later." In addition, it picked up about 2 MPG. Doesn't sound like much, but when you were getting 13.5 around town, it counts.

I'll see if my mother picks up on any difference with her new Subaru, and when. Of course, to her a car is simply a device to get from point A to point B, so her perceptions may not be all that accurate.

Dave

HomeLAN said:
Yeah. It went from saying "see ya later" when you goosed it to saying "see ya WAY fuckin' later." In addition, it picked up about 2 MPG. Doesn't sound like much, but when you were getting 13.5 around town, it counts.

mine did the same. granted, it went from "see ya" to "see ya later" in my case. :/

Altron

Nixy said:
Well, if it was a constant 30 then it would be cruising...it's not cruising because it's stop and go...go 70 or 80 for a few min...slow to 20...stop for a min or so...it's not consistant

That acceleration kills the gas mileage.

I always need to punch it in order to go from 0-40 quickly. If I accelerate how I want, it takes about 30 seconds to get up to speed. To do it in 10, like the psychopathic soccer-mom talking on the cell phone behind me, I need to punch it hard, and it burns a lot of gas to do that.

For me, stop and go with a lot of 0-40 will use more gas than just cruisin' along at 40.

Luis G

<i><b>Problemator</b></i>
Staff member
Nixy said:
Well, if it was a constant 30 then it would be cruising...it's not cruising because it's stop and go...go 70 or 80 for a few min...slow to 20...stop for a min or so...it's not consistant

I meant it in a figurative way ;)

Remember those 3km I'm away from work?, depending on the hour it can take me up to 20 minutes to get there. So an average of 30km/h even if it is not constant is almost like cruising to me.

Winky

Tatu.jpg

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Altron said:
That acceleration kills the gas mileage.

I realize that, which is why I pointed out that my rating is mostly in traffic. I wouldn't be so happy with it if I were doing my driving in not so much traffic and thus with less stop and go.

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
paul_valaru said:
i think winky said it best

You're just jealous cause your gas mileage is "1 energy drink = 30km" (numbers are est as I don't know your exact gas mileage :p )

Altron

I still spend less on gas because I average like 125 miles a week - or 6,000 a year. I just hit the big 141,500 mark last weekend (bought it with 139,500 in early Jan) but I've only been driving to work and such since March, so it's closer to 2,000 miles over 4 months.

You did, what? 1,000 miles in 2 weeks? That's like 24,000 a year. My gets half the gas mileage, but since it only goes a quarter of the distance, I spend half as much as you do on gas :D

Aunty Em

Now I have my mobility scooter I'm going rent a garage from my landlord for my car, cos I'll probably only use it once a week to go to Tesco's during the summer.

My mechanic has just done the annual service and MOT(ministry of transport test, yearly roadworthy check for cars older than 3 years) today, but he only did the short service as I've only driven about 2000 miles in the last year, so changing the plugs and airfilter was a bit silly. So it only cost £74 when I was expecting £140. :D

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Altron said:
I still spend less on gas because I average like 125 miles a week - or 6,000 a year. I just hit the big 141,500 mark last weekend (bought it with 139,500 in early Jan) but I've only been driving to work and such since March, so it's closer to 2,000 miles over 4 months.

You did, what? 1,000 miles in 2 weeks? That's like 24,000 a year. My gets half the gas mileage, but since it only goes a quarter of the distance, I spend half as much as you do on gas :D

Ok, so you spend half as much as me on gas...I go 4x as far as you though. If I drove less I'd spend a hell of a lot less on gas too but I figure there's no point in having a car if I'm gonna be like "No, I shouldn't go there because that'll burn gas." If I have the car I may aswell enjoy it. I'd say about half of my kilometers, maybe a little more, are from driving to and from work and the rest are from me driving places like to pick up my grandmother so she could attend my convocation, driving to my convocation myself instead of going with my mom in her car (so that I could leave from there and go to a grad party with my friends)...I'd spend a lot less on gas if I only drove to work but I'd also have a lot less fun. You only live once, I worked my ass off for four years so I could get a good job and enjoy the one chance I have at this whole being alive thing. Overall gas cost isn't an issue with me atm because I only have me to take care of myself and I make more than enough to do that. I like to know I'm not wasting gas though and am getting good value for my money.

With that said my car is now telling me it's getting 9.0L/100km (26.13miles/gallon).

This thread better never be deleted, it's my record of how my car is progressing in terms of efficiency!!!

Altron

Nixy said:
Ok, so you spend half as much as me on gas...I go 4x as far as you though. If I drove less I'd spend a hell of a lot less on gas too but I figure there's no point in having a car if I'm gonna be like "No, I shouldn't go there because that'll burn gas." If I have the car I may aswell enjoy it. I'd say about half of my kilometers, maybe a little more, are from driving to and from work and the rest are from me driving places like to pick up my grandmother so she could attend my convocation, driving to my convocation myself instead of going with my mom in her car (so that I could leave from there and go to a grad party with my friends)...I'd spend a lot less on gas if I only drove to work but I'd also have a lot less fun. You only live once, I worked my ass off for four years so I could get a good job and enjoy the one chance I have at this whole being alive thing. Overall gas cost isn't an issue with me atm because I only have me to take care of myself and I make more than enough to do that. I like to know I'm not wasting gas though and am getting good value for my money.

With that said my car is now telling me it's getting 9.0L/100km (26.13miles/gallon).

This thread better never be deleted, it's my record of how my car is progressing in terms of efficiency!!!

Only about a third to half of my miles are going to and from work... the rest is going around town with my friends and such. I just commute 5 mile each way and my friends are local.

You must know that bragging about my car versus yours is in jest. I drive a 17 year old slug of a car that's goofy enough that it has a lot more - at the risk of sounding like a girly-man - personality. It's big, it's funny looking, and it has a lot of small quirks that make it interesting.

Professur

And it's easily 3 times more comfortable to sit in, too. Even today's Caddies and Lexus's don't hold a candle to those beauties.

Winky

all I want is vehicle that gets 40+ MPG in the city

3 dollar a gallon gas is a pain in the ass

gimme high mileage or gimme um cheap gas?

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Winky said:
all I want is vehicle that gets 40+ MPG in the city

3 dollar a gallon gas is a pain in the ass

gimme high mileage or gimme um cheap gas?

SMART car

Nixy

Elimi-nistrator
Staff member
Professur said:
And it's easily 3 times more comfortable to sit in, too. Even today's Caddies and Lexus's don't hold a candle to those beauties.

I dunno...I found that the caprice we used to have (87) didn't have any support and while it was nice to get all comfy while a passanger as a driver it sucked. I was in my mom's car last night (as a passanger) and DAMN I now see what she's been bitching about uncomfortable...mine is higher and has more back support, I never feel sore when I get home from work.

Altron

It is by far the most comfortable car I've ever driven. It's really designed for long distance highway cruising and for tall people.

I can't stand high-up seats. Mine are all in all, probably sixteen inches off the ground. That's the way it should be. Not like those trucks where the seats are two feet or more off the ground.